Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

External Protection for a 300m Dobsonian

I`ve got a Skyliner Dobsonian 300p, which is quite heavy and awkward to move from the shed to my place of observing. Does anybody have any experience on leaving the telescope erected in the garden and making an insulated, waterproof, removable`tardis`-like box to protect it from the elements rather than to keep moving it in and out all the time?

Albatross

Hi, I've got a 12" dob as well which I seperate into the 2 parts and take the short distance from the 'shed' to to my observing area on my garden. I find that not to troublesome, but if yours is a bit of a trek from the shed have you considered using a sack trolley with the phneumatic wheels. You could extend the base platform with a bit of ply to sit the ota on, cover the metal support framework in pipe insulation and strap a bungee around the ota to that framework. I sometimes use a sack trolley for work, so if I'm doing fencing for example, I can load a 10 stone concrete gravel board vertically and move it easily anywhere I want. I think it would work a treat for a dob ota. If I could think of a nice looking weather proof way of keeping the dob in middle of the garden, I still wouldn't as rain/condensation/frost/creepy crawliwes/etc would at sometime probably give me a problem. Better safe than sorry!

Rob.

I have a 10' walk over flat decking between by 'observatory' [shed] and my dob viewing area, which is straight forward enough, but even then if I stumble I'm probably going to go over due to the weight and balance [dread the thought]. If I had further to go I would be very concerned about stumbling and losing my balance even more so. Compounding the issue is most of us do a lot of the setting up in the dark which makes it more precarious. Big dobs do block your view when carrying in your arms, so the idea of using a vertical sack trolley would certainly allow you to see where your going, let alone taking most of the weight. Afterall thats what sack trolleys are designed for...

You might still be hankering to leave the dob permanently in posistion in the garden, but for me I can't think of a 100% way of protecting it other than erecting one of those small but tall plastic storage sheds what you get at diy stores. Might look a bit daft if its posistioned on its own on the middle of your lawn!!! I've now got visions of the Tardis from Doctor Who...

Rob.

Yes, the problems with moving a big dob are manifold, mainly in that it has to be recollimated after every move as you just cannot pick up and put down something that big, awkward and heavy carefully enough, without disturbing the mirror. The idea of a tall garden shed/tardis-like building has entered my mind many times, so the original question was in seeking advice from anyone who had actually done successfully. It looks like that I`ll try to dream up a structure, lightweight and waterproof enough, to protect, what is a delicate telescope with conti-board mount near the ground from rain, wind, insects, heat, condensation, etc.

I`ll try something and post my results later

Many people have used a roll-off shed (a shed on wheels that can be rolled over the scope and the door shut.) It occurred to me a while ago that you could make an outhouse-like structure large enough to contain the scope, and hinge the base at the back so you can open the door and tip it back off the scope.

Archived