Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

November 30, 2013, heads up: MASSIVE prom visible

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Just had a look at the sun with the little LS35 and a massive prom was visible to the north-west. It is a very complicated structure, stretching out by at least 1/3rd of the radius of the sun, with a series of three near parallel distorted Z-shapes at quite a distance from the sun, and a thin knotted filament connecting this structure to the surface. Near the base of the filament a short straight prom can be seen at a shallow angle with the surface of the sun. To its south a fainter prom is visible (best at low magnification). To the east of the big prom a smaller structure stands out nearly at right angles to the sun. Several filaments and sunspots can be seen on the surface, along with what looks like a small bright loop. Well worth getting the scope out.

Saw this myself a bit earlier (in my PST)... VERY impressive. One of the largest and most complicated looking proms I've seen for a while. Looked like someone had decided to draw a mountain range on the edge of the sun!! Unfortunately the clouds have reappeared here!!

Saw this myself a bit earlier (in my PST)... VERY impressive. One of the largest and most complicated looking proms I've seen for a while. Looked like someone had decided to draw a mountain range on the edge of the sun!! Unfortunately the clouds have reappeared here!!

Same here, I just managed to grab a 25 minute break in the clouds.

Your reports are so vivid, Michael :laugh:

This is possibly the most exciting post I have ever read on SGL, because I had imaged the sun a bit earlier in hydrogen alpha and had no idea at the time what a spectacular prom there was!

After reading your post, I had my fingers crossed that I might have captured something of the big 'un. I had to be patient as we had guests and I, ahem, had read your post while doing the washing up :grin: :grin:

Your reports are so vivid, Michael :laugh:

This is possibly the most exciting post I have ever read on SGL, because I had imaged the sun a bit earlier in hydrogen alpha and had no idea at the time what a spectacular prom there was!

After reading your post, I had my fingers crossed that I might have captured something of the big 'un. I had to be patient as we had guests and I, ahem, had read your post while doing the washing up :grin: :grin:

Thanks Luke. Glad you put the washing-up time to good usr. ;)

Saw this same prom forming earlier in the day from over this side of the world, whilst showing off the PST to my brother and dad. Was a great time to be showing the scope off. Sounds like the prom got a lot more impressive later on though. Shame to have missed it! I was, however, nursing my newborn son who we only brought home from the hospital that morning, at that time so... My experience was one I wouldn't have swapped for the world anyhow (as tempted as I might have been)! :)

Saw this same prom forming earlier in the day from over this side of the world, whilst showing off the PST to my brother and dad. Was a great time to be showing the scope off. Sounds like the prom got a lot more impressive later on though. Shame to have missed it! I was, however, nursing my newborn son who we only brought home from the hospital that morning, at that time so... My experience was one I wouldn't have swapped for the world anyhow (as tempted as I might have been)! :)

Congrats on the safe arrival of your son at home. You are going to be very busy in the coming months, I can see! It can be very tiring, but I did use the nightly excursions required by a newborn kid to check for any unexpected clear patches in the sky (often a case of feed the kid, change the diapers, grab the bins/scope).

Archived