Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Av1 files / registax

jaygpoo

So after amassing the equipment needed I finally took some video of jupiter to upload in registax and on then to photoshop cs6 to play. BUT !!!   . I took the video using a QHY5 and  Firecapture 2 . A 2min shot of some 2000 frames.  It stored them in a AV1 file. I opened registax and located the file only to see the message. UNABLE TO LOAD FILE. What formate does registax take or is it that the file is compressed?  What is the best most common file format  to use. I have sharpcap too but  firecapture is much nicer to use.  I have virtualdub  if needed but I am unsure what you need to do ?  Any help out there would be welcome. Jay

I suspect you're using Registax v5?  It may be that the video codec is one that Registax can't read, in which case preprocessing the video file with PIPP may well help.  Or the file may be too long (though I doubt it).  PIPP may well also be the solution there as it can crop the image frame down to make the file smaller.

But the best solution is to ditch Registax for stacking and use AutoStakkert!2.  Then come back to Registax for wavelets.  This may help:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/184821-beginners-guide-to-stacking-planetary-images-with-autostakkert2/

James

Some great inf an many thanks. Now for the questions. After putting my file through pipp I went into autostakkert and the data graph was unlike your example. In yours the data is dense and the 50% line is through the middle of it. In mine the data is very thin and below that line. When I get to the wavelets on movinmg them vey little happens. By this do I take it that the lack of data is the problem? So in videoing the planet for say 2mins is the data density due to the focus of the image / the image size or what as I do not seem to be getting the data that others do. Jay

I'd hazard a guess at insufficient gain and perhaps not sharp enough focus, but it really is a guess.  I use my QHY5L-II for guiding rather than imaging so I don't really know how it behaves when imaging, but you need to make sure you get the histogram about 60% to 70% full.  I'd probably get Jupiter on the sensor and get the focus sorted as best I could, then adjust the exposure time to get perhaps 15fps or 30fps to start with and finally adjust the gain to get the histogram to the right place.  I'm struggling a bit for other ideas at the moment I'm afraid.

Using the moons to get focused is a common trick.  Always worth a try.

James

Archived