Baader neodymium vs baader uhc-s filter

Raga

Hi all.

Which of the above filters is better to get for my 150PD-S?

I like observing all things, moon, planets, nebulae etc and as of yet don't own any filters.

I have searched the forum and can find comparisons for uhc vs oiii but not for the uhc vs neodymium.

Any help greatly appreciated as its gonna be a stocking filler from my wife for Xmas.

Cheers

Stephen

A lot has been said about the identical performanceof the Baader neodymium filter and the Skywatcher LPR filter which is less than half price of the former.

A UHC filter is a good multi-purpose type if filter that cuts down emissions from sodium street lights, increases the background darkness and subsequently enhances contrast on nebulae.

These are two very different beasts. The Neodymium is an LPR filter which blocks certain wavelengths (e.g. sodium light) and passes broad bands in between. The UHC filter is a narrow-band filter which transmits certain wavelengths (the ones emitted by most emission nebulae) and blocks the broad bands in between. The first can be useful on all DSOs including galaxies and reflection nebulae, but only if light pollution is mainly narrow line emission (especially the yellow low-pressure sodium lights). The UHC filter is much better on emission nebulae, such as planetaries, and blocks out far more LP. The disadvantage is that they do not work well on sources that emit or reflect a continuum, like galaxies and reflection nebulae

One thing to add-filters block out some light so even though a uhc filter will show certain nebula better it may actually darken the view too much in a 6".

The Baader UHC-S is specially recommended for smaller aperture scopes as it's band pass width is more generous than a "regular" UHC filter. I have a soft spot for it as it's the 1st filter that showed me the Veil Nebula - that was with an ED100 refractor  :smiley:

I've yet to use a Baader Neowhatsitdinium filter - I'd be interested to try one someday.

I have both. I got the Neodymium first, to try to help with light pollution, but it's so bad round here it doesn't achieve much. The UHC-s is *much* more useful to me, and sees a lot more use. I had some lovely views of the Orion Nebula despite the rubbish light pollution on Saturday using it, and I did try without it too, for comparison - the improvement was marked.

I'd recommend the UHC-s over the Nd every time, but it is only useful for emission nebulae.

Archived