Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planetary imaging

BEYOND EARTH

Hey SGL,

I've been wanting to try and take some planetary images, but I do not know where to start. I have a decent mount, good OTA and a DSLR. Now I know DSLR's are not the best for taking planetary images but thats what I have for now. I also have a auto guider but I do not know if an auto guider is needed for planetary imaging. 

Any help or links would be great!

Thank you!

I can't see signatures on my phone so no idea what kit you have.

Essentially you want to record video. A few minutes worth. Moat dslr canera record at 20-30 frames per second. This is fine.

Then you need to convert your dslr video into an *.avi, there is a programme called PIPP, can't remember the full name. It's free. Simply load the video into pipp then go to the last tab and click process all or the similar wording. It will generate a *.avi.

Load that avi into registax. Then align, limit, then stack. As easy as that.

Fiddle with the wavelets a bit. Hey presto, an image.

There are numerous tutorials on line about each of these stages. But you just want to get going.

If you have a barlow or powermate and can get that in the light path, your planet will be bigger.

I try and get my focus as good as i can on a near by bright star, ideally at a similar altitude above the horizon so it is looking through a similar thickness of atmosphere.

Good luck.

James

This is what I'm working with Skywatcher Pro SW 80ED APO 80mm | Celestron CG5 mount | Canon EOS T1i | Orion Magnificent Mini Auto guider package. You said if I have a barlow or powermate the planet will be bigger, could you please link me to a barlow. Just want to read up on it some more. 

Thank you so much for all your help James!

Your canon has 4.7µm pixels so you need around f/20 for optimal planetary imaging. Pick a Barlow by its magnification to get such f-ratio. Also note that 80 mm scope will be quite small for planetary imaging so Jupiter will be small even with that Barlow.

This is what I'm working with Skywatcher Pro SW 80ED APO 80mm | Celestron CG5 mount | Canon EOS T1i | Orion Magnificent Mini Auto guider package. You said if I have a barlow or powermate the planet will be bigger, could you please link me to a barlow. Just want to read up on it some more.

Thank you so much for all your help James!

Sorry tried to see what you'd posted....

So an 80mm refractor, that will have fast optics i guess, f/5 or so? So as above, your starting size for Jupiter will be small.

This is a barlow:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/tal-eyepieces/tal-2x-and-3x-barlows.html

Powermates are more expensive but allegedly give better results; they come in 2-5x magnification.

You can plug in your scope, camera and any barlows here and select a planet and see how it will look under different kit:

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

James

I've seen some acceptable planetary images done with a DSLR in video mode, but I get the impression it isn't a doddle.  It's probably easier to use a small chip fast frame rate camera if you can.  An ED80 isn't the idea telescope either, but you have to work with what you have :)  I'd suggest starting off without a barlow until you get the hang of things, then perhaps try something like the Revelation 2.5x barlow and see how you get on with that.  A 5x barlow or powermate may well just be asking too much of your kit.

James

Out of interest (and slightly off topic), when is a 5x barlow useful, for what kit and for what targets, imaging or visual, or is it just a bit of a gimmick device?

James

I reckon if you're imaging with a lot of aperture then it's feasible to use one, especially in a scope with relatively fast optics.  For example, some posters here are planetary imaging with the likes of a 250P or 300P GOTO dob.  WIth a camera such as the ASI120 you probably want a focal ratio of around f/20 to f/25.  As the 250P has a native focal ratio of f/4.7 and the 300P f/4.9 a 5x barlow is about perfect.  Stick one on the back of my 127 Mak though and it's utterly useless.

James

I'm just reading an essay in the 2014 Yearbook of Astronomy by Martin Mobberley on Imaging Jupiter; it's a really good read. There are some other smashing essays in there too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Patrick-Moores-Yearbook-Astronomy-2014/dp/144724396X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385550181&sr=8-1&keywords=2014+yearbook+astronomy

James

I've got that book and have only ever dipped into it once or twice. But i found this essay quite up to date, well structured and relevant. He has a similar writing style to Patrick Moore with numerous interesting distractions, and some very bold statements. "Trust me when i say 'bold statements'" :)

James

Reading his book and working out the maths behind some of his reasoning gave me a much better understanding of what I was attempting to achieve with planetary imaging and also a better insight into what might have gone wrong when it didn't work out so it was very useful from that point of view.  I don't mind bold statements when they're backed up with logical argument, or even an acceptance that they sound wrong, but experience appears to bear them out.  I'm always happier when I know why as well as what.  Sounds like it could be an interesting read though.  Were it not for the fact that I have already told my family that I do not want anything for Christmas this year, I would ask them to get it :)

James

Archived