NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Equipment - Tips & Suggestions

nvchad2

I've recently delved into the world of astrophotography, but had been limited to taking pictures through the eyepiece until today.  When I got home today, my T-adapter was in the mailbox waiting for me.  I was excited and barely took time to eat before ripping open the package.  I had everything set up at the door and ready to go in minutes.  Of course a storm is brewing on the east coast so the sky is covered and there's nothing for me to see, but I still wanted to test it on a few local buildings and lights.

I hauled it outside, pointed the finder at a building about 500 yards away, and peered into the camera.  I adjusted the focus all the way in and out several times, but the bright blur in my camera never cleared up.  It just wouldn't focus.  I knew the camera had to be either too close or too far from the focuser, and since I couldn't get any closer, I tried various different things to move it out.  The only 2 things I had that would work were the 3x barlow I have and the 1.5 Erecting Lens.

I was very relieved when the light came into clear focus, but the downside to this setup is that my camera hangs off the telescope by at least 6 inches.  I'm worried that the weight of the camera is going to put excess strain on the barlow as well as the focuser.

Is there anything I can do to sturdy the setup?  I am probably going to try using a tripod or monopod to support the camera until I find any better (less cumbersome) methods, but I was wondering what other members here did in similar situations.

Regardless, I am very excited for the weather to clear so I can try aiming it at those little tiny shimmering things in the sky.

Was this with the reflector or the refractor?

I couldn't achieve focus with my reflector and my dslr like you, and so i got a low profile focuser which means the dslr now sits much closer to the telescope and can achieve focus without hanging off several barlow eye pieces! If that isn't an option for your kit (and they are not particularly cheap, circa $250) then i can't think of another solution.

If using the dslr with the refractor you may need an extension tube, again to bring the dslr to focus, but i suspect you have been using the reflector.

I'm sorry i'm not much help.

But i wish you good luck with your project.

James

Was this with the reflector or the refractor?

It was with the reflector.  I suppose I should have said that.  :)

I don't really know if purchasing a focuser like that is possible for this set up, but $250 is definitely out of reach right now either way.  But I appreciate the suggestion.  Didn't know something like that was out there so maybe I'll keep that in mind for the future. 

I guess you don't have a tracking mount; correct me if i'm wrong..

In that case, dslr imaging probably won't be easy, unless taking individual frames of the mon which is really bright.

So, you could think about a webcam and imaging the moon and the brighter planets, especially if you've got slow motion controls and could gently move the scope to keep the image in frame.

You'd need a webcam of some description, and ideally a laptop. Then the software is all free to download.

Focus may still be an issue, but the barlow would help make the image bigger on the sensor of the webcam anyway.

There are lots of threads on sgl about using webcams like this, and you could convert a $5 webcam for this purpose.

Just a thought.

If you want to do dslr imaging through one of the telescopes, you really need a tracking mount, alt-az tracking would be a start, but ideally an equatorial tracking one. Astro-imaging is an expensive game.

Alternatively stick to widefield astrophotography, you've got a nice dslr and some nice lenses.

Either way it needs to be fun. I wish you good luck and look forward to seeing what you are achieving.

James

P.s. Sorry for the long waffly posting!

I guess you don't have a tracking mount; correct me if i'm wrong..

In that case, dslr imaging probably won't be easy, unless taking individual frames of the mon which is really bright.

Challenge accepted!   :cool:

I know it wont be easy, but I do want to try with my DSLR.  I know I'll be limited on shooting bright stuff like the moon, but for now I think that'll be ok.  I am definitely looking into the webcam stuff too though.

If you have not already got it get every astrophographers bible Every Photon Counts best book you can read to get the best out of your scope and camera.

Thank you for the recommendation.  I'll definitely give it a look.

Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards really excellent book - best thing I ever bought for astrophotography :)  Easy to read and very helpful :)

Thank you.  Looks like I have quite a bit of reading to do this weekend!

Archived