NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Polarie or Astrotrac?

Elektra

Hello everyone (virgin post)

Although I am a seasoned photographer (retired pro, in the late autumn of my time on this planet) I am entirely ignorant when it comes to matters celestial, hence the simplicity of my first question to the forum.

For many years I have had a latent interest in photographing the night sky, but it's only in recent weeks that I have actually taken the first steps towards achieving this objective, by acquiring a Vixen brand 'Polarie' mount, the Polar Axis Scope and the 'quick Polaris locator' gadget.

This Vixen gear is currently on 'sale or return' (courtesy of the very helpful Astronomia shop in Dorking who, incidentally, offer an amazingly flexible service I've come to realise)  

Although I have not actually set-up and used this equipment, I have done a fair bit of research and already I am in some doubt as to whether the Polarie will be up to the job of successfully handling the photo gear I want to eventually use.  May I tell you what that is first of all?

The most suitable camera I have (and intend using) is the Nikon D800 which (without lens) weighs in at approximately 1000 grammes (2lb 3oz) which is fine according to the Polarie literature, but the main lens I want to use when I am competent at setting this device up accurately, is the chunky AF-S 80-400 Nikkor, which weighs in at approx 1600 grammes (3.5 lbs)  To this, of course, must be added a ball head and mounting plate (another 500 grammes) which I think takes it over the recommended weight limit.

I have recently 'discovered' the Astrotrac (thanks to YouTube) and I'm ow having second-thoughts as to whether or not this is the preferred choice, given the equipment I have, and my aspirations for the future.

I am well suited for the rest of the gear, meaning I have a variety of substantial tripods and a geared head, but I would like to get this tracking device right first time, if at all possible.

Many thanks in anticipation of your valued advice. 

The original weight limit spec has always seemed a little conservative for the Polarie, so much so that Vixen US market it with a 7lb load limit now which in my mind is far closer to the reality of what this little mount can hold(still conservative, maybe). I'm pretty sure you can push your set up a little more if you want.

http://www.vixenoptics.com/mounts/polarie.html

Personally I think you will be fine, there have been some pretty impressive rigs that I have seen online with what people actually put on a Polarie and I'd say it's up to the task.

I would give it a go before you decide to send it back and if you never intend to put a scope on it then you most likely will not need to get a bigger mount for a long time.

I believe but don't hold me to it that the Polarie uses the same type of motor as the Vixen Sphinx which is capable of a much bigger load and when you add a counter weight to it the Polarie can be loaded more, I don't see the point of that but then I don't want  to use more equipment on it, yet.

Oh, and welcome to SGL :)

Hello and welcome to a never ending obsession...

An AstroTrac will give you more of an upgrade path than the Polarie. I use a Canon 500mm f/4 lens and 7D frequently with mine.

Each have their merits, the Polarie for extreme portability and the AstroTrac for its payload capacity.

I'd like to try a Polarie but only to complement the AstroTrac (dual imaging).

Does it have to be portable? You can get a very capable mount for similar money.

This is a really tricky one! I own a Vixen Polarie and have reviewed it here. In my opinion, its carrying capacity has been somewhat understated and I believe the USA updated figure is more realistic as I have shown in my review.

It is beautifully made in typical Vixen style and ultra-portable. However, the AstroTrac has a great payload capacity so would allow for the mounting of larger equipment in the future. Some time ago (before the Polarie was even known about), I also reviewed the AstroTrac for a group test for the Sky at Night magazine and found it a capable mounting although somewhat to my surpsie, not actually the most accurate at tracking of those tested but it was a winner in all other respects.

I chose the Polarie for my own use because it was so portable which was exactly what I wanted for foreign travel.

I suspect that either mount would satisfy your current requirements.

Hi

If you are after the best then the AT is the way to go and is future proof.

Another option is the http://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16673

The advantage with this it works out to be cheaper the the vixen, also a club member has one and it serves well

If you have a sturdy tripod, geared head and ball head then you can copy the AT travel package http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astrotrac/astrotrac-holiday-special-deal.html

just by buying http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astrotrac/astrotrac-tt320x-ag.html and buy the polar scope as a package, saves some money

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

Repeated thanks for your helpful suggestions; in the end decided to abandon separate mounts altogether and look for a suitable, camera friendly 'scope allowing for viewing AND photographic opportunities - but which one best for me, is the burning question?

Likely best asked, perhaps, on the appropriate forum, but at the moment deciding how much I need to spend in order to achieve my objective.  

In principle I like the idea of those models which have on-board GPS, but their apparent complexity concerns me a little I must say. 

Archived