Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ3-2 Mount Troubles

Hi all, 

Hope you're all good. 

I bought a Skywatcher Explorer 150p (without go-to) in January and, after nearly a year of fighting with the EQ3-2 mount controls, I finally snapped the spindle holding the legs together. It kinda made me realise that the mount is killing my enjoyment of astronomy, as I spend so long trying to angle the scope correctly that I lose interest in what I'm looking for - and the up-down controls on the collar are so badly designed.

With that in mind, I thought about buying a new mount with a go-to computer. I've already learned a lot about the sky from the manual controls, so I won't feel quite as guilty about 'cheating'! However, the EQ-3 Pro Go-to alone is more expensive than my existing set-up - and, for that price, I could probably see how I get on with a new Dobsonian, which appear slightly less complicated.

Is there an inexpensive go-to mount for the Explorer? I don't mind spending money but I can't really justify spending over the price of my existing scope on upgrading it. I would like to buy a Dobsonian just for the experience but are the manual controls just as awkward?

Any thoughts? My EQ3-2 is still functional but it's not 100%.

Thanks!

For something like a 150p I would say the EQ3-2 is the smallest you could get away with, an EQ5 would be much more suitable. :grin:

You may be able to get a tripod for the EQ3-2 head and transfer it over. Cannot recall who but one retailer was at the Leamington Spa event selling used tripods. One of the "standard" ones that has an "outlet" section ? Someone else may be able to supply a name.

Equally look on the used market at ABSUK.

3 more posts and you can see the Buy/Sell here, so a reply could be useful :grin:

Also check out Sky's the Limit. I think Alan may sell tripods, without heads.

If you go down that route then also consider motors (later?) for the EQ3-2 head, not quick but useful and you seem not to need a full goto. Which on a mount like the EQ3-2 I am not sure is worth the outlay in cash. Personally I would spend the monry if the mount were EQ5 or bigger but I think you will out grow the EQ3-2 fairly quick.

Just remembered that the people advertise on ABSUK and they are telescopeoutlet.co.uk don't appear to have a www in front. Cannot see just a tripod on their site but a phone call of email can do no harm. Part of Astronomia so could be at a show near you at any time. As I said hey had a few at the LS show.

What's the difference between EQ3 and E5 (I notice it goes up to E8)? 

It sounds like it's gonna be expensive regardless of what I do! I suppose I'm looking for something like this, ideally. 

Is it possible to buy a 'plug and play' motor and go-to set that will work with my existing EQ3 and 150p? It might not be the perfect option but it'd tide me over the winter!

Thanks for the help :)

I know you will find a Dob much easier to deal with - I have both! The 150p/EQ3-2 is great for some things (planets, Moon, double stars etc.) and a Dob is useful for these and great for pretty much everything else. The focal lengths are quite different (750mm for the 150p versus 1200mm for a 150p, 200p or 250px Dob, and 1500mm for the 300p so magnification with the same eyepiece will be very different and the FOV also different. I have thought of investing in motors for the EQ3-2, to avoid searching for the control knobs in the dark, and to track well enough for visual observation, but I haven't felt like spending more than £90 which could go towards (eventually) an HEQ-5.

Archived