Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What can a expect from a EQ5?

Smithfire

Hi guys

Just purchased a new HE5 mount with a view to using some sort of 80mm APO in the new year. Having read a few posts on the subject. I'm slightly nervous about what the EQ5 can actually do?. When fitted with the correct drives, is it capable of AP (deep sky)?

Many thanks

Clive

The EQ5 is pretty solid, yes you can get better and more solid but that is always the case. There are mounts that make the NEQ6 look like it is made from matchsticks.

The main thing is to remember that if you go adding more and more to the system then it becomes harder work for the mount. Starting with ED80 is OK, adding a side by side mounting bar and guide scope and guide camera and cables that's when it starts to struggle. And the problem with AP is that is where it all leads to.

The mount will do AP however that means goto (if present) and track not guide and the accuracy of the track is dependant on the accuracy of the alignment, especially polar, done by you. With good polar alignment I would expect 30 second exposures and possibly up to 60 second.

Thanks very much for that ronin, maybe I'll not spend money on putting drives in the eq5 and wait and see if im properly bitten by the ap bug. Then perhaps invest in a more suitable mount. Are there any parts of this forum dedicated to getting the best out of the eq5? Tuning and stripping etc?

Clive

Drives are I suspect pretty much the one thing you do need on the mount, both for AP and visual. :grin:

Any AP needs the mount to be driven, I would say that the load the mount can take is really the load that can be driven accurately. I think I could stand on an EQ5 and wouldn't expect it to collapse, just I wouldn't expect the mount to move me. They are pretty robust.

For any form of AP. DSO or planetary, the mount should track the object as a necessary action.

For visual it is nice if the mount tracks the object, your viewing is easier and so more pleasant.

There will be posts about stripping and tuning mounts, Astro-Baby has a good one for HEQ5 on her web site. Not sure if she has anything specific to the EQ5. As a simplification much is to strip the mount down, clean off the stuff that is refered to as grease, replace with a lithium grease, reassemble and spend time getting the gear spacing right. An alternative to gears all the way through is a belt conversion. Stick a post in the mounts section asking for information from people that have done this to the EQ5. I think a few have but not seen any further information.

Rowan Astronomy do a HEQ5 belt drive, beltingonline do a EQ6 kit, I am sure I read of an EQ5 one somewhere.

Archived