NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Some Guidance for Guiding...

Good evening folks,

I am going to take the leap of faith and add a guide set-up to my system. I am looking at using a QHY5-II camera through the Skywatcher 9x50 finder on my Skywatcher 80ED, all on an HEQ5 Pro mount. I will run PHD on an old laptop that I have. My question is this: the old laptop is pretty decent, but has USB 1 ports on it, will this create a problem with the guide camera?

I look forward to your help and advice.

Wow - I seem to have finally found a question to which nobody on SGL knows the answer!

Anyway, thankfully I have found a solution.

It looks as though usb 1.0 probably would not have been good enough for the camera. My solution - I've found another laptop with usb 2.0 ports. So, thanks to my sister for saving the day!

Clear skies.

They won't as you unscrew that part where it enters the finder at the wide point and replace with an adapter.

Here's a pic pointing to where I mean...

post-29321-0-52531400-1385050426_thumb.j

You can see that it is plain black at the join rather than the sparkly black.

That's the theory... I will update as I progress!

When the finders are modded for guiding the spring loaded support gets replaced, I believe, by a fixed one. The last thing you want on a guider is anything springy!! You might get away with it but a slight tug on the cables would move it.

Not sure how folks get round this.

The leap of faith is going unguided, not guided!

Olly

Archived