Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DistroAstro 1.0.2

RT65CB-SWL

Looks interesting.  I might have to have a peek to see how they're managing to get Registax to run.  I assume it must be under WINE.  I want to run as much as possible under Linux, to which ends I am well into a project to write an open source (planetary, mostly) imaging application.

James

Tonight after a few days of DistoAstro 1.0.2 and seeing what it can do etc, I would install it on my laptop. It asks if I want to create partitions etc and install alongside Windows Vista on the HDD. Installation goes OK. It gets to 'Creating user...', (ie me), then nothing. Several minutes later still nothing has happened and the progress bar has not moved.

I sent Bamm an email (Thu/Fri) this week after experiencing the same issue on Thursday evening/night. He is puzzled. He says that creating my user account should only take a few seconds to complete as the installer is based on Unity, (Ubuntu & Mint use it).

For me, it is one of the better Linux 'live' distros that I have used. The only downside I can fault, (at the present time), is installation and unable to locate a help file anywhere on the disk or the ISO image.

• 2 weeks later...

**Installation Tip**

If dual/multi-booting with M$ Window$ "whatever", DO NOT tick 'Encrypt my personal files' box. The installation of Distro Astro fails to install when it gets to 'Creating user', (it did on my laptop).

It can be installed from the 'live' distro or from the DVD startup menu. Installation time is <20minutes.

Included in this distro is:

GRUB (bootloader); wx-astro; Registax; Libre Office; media players, (VLC & Totem), audio file management, CD/DVD ripping software, network, wi-fi & mobile broadband... I could go on. What I have seen so far this has everything.

• 3 weeks later...

For those who have not been following Distro Astro, good news version 2 has just been released. Here is the link to the release notes http://www.distroastro.org/releases/    For those that have already installed earlier versions they have a upgrade script you can run.   http://www.distroastro.org/download/ 

I'm looking forward to version 3 that will allow Ekos to run

Archived