Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

National Space Centre visit

MattGoo

I've read a few (old) threads about it, but though I'd just post a quick report on our visit to the National Space Centre in Leicester yesterday.

Went with the wife, and wife's cousin (13yr old boy who lives locally). Wife pre-booked online, but you still have to queue up to exchange your booking email for actual tickets. Guide books at £3.50 seem overpriced.

Generally it's aimed more at a child friendly audience since a lot of the content will be already known by amateur astronomers. There are interesting displays, particularly the Moon rock, Rockets, Meteorite samples and astronaut gear. Quite a few interactive elements for kids to have a go at. As previous visitors have commented, it's more to do with space race/exploration rather than actual hands-on astronomy. The free show in the SPM Planetarium was 'We are aliens', quite good. Didn't go for the additional £3 show (think it was about the Moon).

Centre Shop actually had a Skwyatcher 150p dob & Celestron 70mm ?EQ1? on sale. A selection of books more geared towards astronomy & observing available as well. Plus the usual branded stuff, sweets, space related toys etc.

Lunch: £4 meal deals of sandwich, drink & crisps.

Tickets: £13 adult, £11 child

Parking £2

Overall verdict: 6/10.

I've been there too. I went to Leicester primarily to watch my team play them in an evening game, so I thought I'd make a day of it by visiting the Space Centre. As you say, a great place for youngsters. Not too much that would enlighten the seasoned amateur astronomer.

I've been there too. I went to Leicester primarily to watch my team play them in an evening game, so I thought I'd make a day of it by visiting the Space Centre. As you say, a great place for youngsters. Not too much that would enlighten the seasoned amateur astronomer.

Agreed - We went there about 9 years ago (how time flies), and I got the same impression.  At that time it had the Beagle 2 'mission control' there - as nothing was ever heard from the probe, this was in an abandoned state, and was rather sad looking.

Archived