NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Helios Quantum 4 reviews

Okeydokey

I'm looking for a binocular review of the Helios Quantum 4s.  By far the majority of published thinking seems to be that above the 15x70 default Helios, (prescribed just about every where), you might as well get your scope out....  Well my own thinking is, predominantly because of my large garden and kitchen access, no need to polar align, and viewing durations lasting less than one hour, pop out with a sturdy tripod + large bins and bob will be your dads brother.

Can't quite track down an impartial peer review on this product though, any help appreciated.

Happy with the idea of a sturdy tripod, the patio doors are more than wide enough to cope, the better half is more than tolerant enought to deal with the obstruction.

Many thanks

I have the quantum 4s in 25x100 size, love the view I get through them, was at my local club last night and moon was bright and there was high cloud, the scopes, 8 inch nextar, a 14 inch meade could pick out the stars of the orion nebula but could not see the gases around the stars, whereas my binos could no problem, if I had to complain about them I would say you need a "p" mount and a flexible neck for looking at the zenith as there a straight through design, I feel the way manufacturers make these not just helios, should think of a sturdier way of mounting them to the tripod, make the threads in steel, i.e. helicoils to stop them stripping if screwing in steel to aluminium etc, I also think the knob on top that slides along the rail for balancing should be made better, not a small threaded bolt connecting to a round rod as even when secured, it still jiggles about on the rail left to right, but if you can put up with my nitpickings, generally they are great and so far from all the telescopes I have looked through all be it in areas of light pollution, I have not been that impressed by the scope views so far and prefer the binos views for field of view, just hope I win the lotto and I would still have big binos only full apo versions with 45 deg eyepieces and variable mags.

I have a set of Quantum 4's, not used the scopes since I got them in fact I am thinking of selling both the scopes as I just don't get the time to set them up. The view thought the Quant's are superb for the money and you can just about hand hold them although on a monopod with trigger grip they are great

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Archived