Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best value for money guiding?

For cost many use the ST80 scope as a guide scope.

Cannot help on the actual guide camera.

Someone may be along and able to sugest a camera or it may be less cost to use an OAG (Off Axis Guider) as with one of them I don't think you need the guide scope, it uses the main scope. So you save on a scope but probably more for the OAG. Would also be less weight.

If no replies, PM a mod to shift this to the imaging section, or one may do it anyway.

I use a QHY5 on a finderguider and for about £200 all-in this works well for me. The ST80 is the default guide scope for many and only costs a little more than a finder.

Let one of us know if you want the thread moved, I would suggest: Getting started with imaging.

For a standalone guider I don't think they come any cheaper than a Synguider, they can be a bit tricky to get the hang off but a bit of patience and learning go a long way with them, coupled with an ST-80 scope it works a treat, that's what i've been using with my 80ED. I picked my synguider up for about 120 second hand and the St-80 is about 90 quid new, and it doubles up as a great little kick about scope.

Archived