Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Apollo 15 x 70, Quantum 20 x 80 or Quantum 20 x 90

jnb

Which to get and why?

I assume that the Apollo range is meant to be better quality as I can't see another reason for the higher price. The quantum 4 range is about the same price point but gives more aperture and is much the same weight and field of view. In the quantum 4 range the 20 x 80 are listed as triplet (interestingly the only one in the range which says so) whereas the 20 x 90 are not. I assume that the triplet would show less CA but with a magnification of only 20 (generous for binoculars I know but tiny compared to a scope) is that such a major problem.

Of course what I'd really like is something in that price range with 45deg eyepieces but that doesn't seem to exist.

You are correct in that the Apollo is of a higher quality, both optically and mechanically than both the larger instruments. If it were between the 15x70 Apollo & the 20x80 Q4, I'd personally have the Apollo every time. The 90mm instrument however will have (on paper) more light grasp and should in theory show you more. In practice though, I have a feeling the superior coatings, baffling, mechanics of the BA8 will even things out somewhat.

Archived