celestron eyepiece kit

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting the celestron eyepiece kit as a christmas present for my skywatcher 150p dob and celestron 76eq refelector, is it worth it? and as another question it is worthwhile getting a extra light pollution filter as i usually view from my place in wrexham town centre, 

Ta,

Si

I haven't bought an eyepiece kit so I can't speak from personal experience, but from reading on here you may find yourself using only a few of the EPs and filters.

You might be better off spending the money on a couple of well chosen better quality eyepieces, something like BST Explorer/Starguiders or Vixen NPLs.

As for the light pollution filter, it depends on the type of light pollution in your area. I have a fairly cheap Skywatcher LP filter and I can't say I've noticed much difference really. 

the big o............Plössl  designed lenses are  short on eye relief. Short eye relief is more critical in the shorter focal lengths below about 12 mm, when viewing can become uncomfortable especially for people wearing glasses. Generally, there is the view that some kit lenses wont ever get used, in favour of the one or two you do like. At such a low price too, for the whole kit, there has to be some personal questions on their quality and end results. Skys_unlimited allow you to try before you return? Buy two lenses, test them out, return the one you dont need. I would suggest buying individual lenses.

what would a good pair of lenses and filters be charic? if i was to get two lenses and a filter as i already have a moon filter what would be your recommendations?

Tele Vue Naglers and the like would be good, great even, but well out of my price range, and maybe yours.  Even Meade 4000 or 5000 Plossl lenses. I have the celsetron 127EQ and have been dismayed with the lenses. So  took advice from this site and have purchased my first BST Starguider 8mm and very happy with its result. My intentions are to buy more, though not all of them. However I`m very happy with just the one at present. ( I want more, but?????) The BST`s also look like  Astrotech-paradigms, Orion Epics, Olivion ED, N-ED`s (thats five different brand names for the same lens effectively)  Like I said earlier. The try offer above cant be beaten I think. That way you`ll know if the lens is good for you. Think you get 2 weeks to try(check that)

the big o ......... Wont be long before I`m allowed to edit?.........As for the filter, light entering the tube has a little way before hitting the mirror, so there is your natural filter hood. You could extend this by adding a snood made of sleeping bag underlay foam. If your looking at objects low to the horizon, and almost aligned to any extraneous light sources, then theres no hope, but as the tube points more to the Zenith then less light should enter the scope. failing this, try another dark site or even move furniture (as in my sheds to shield light) I`m still learning about astronomy filters, although Ive been using some Cokins for Years to enhance photography, but again, a filter made for one task normally always affects something else? lastly you could try out of town for a darker site. Ive been through Wrexham a few times?

the big o........Try this site http://www.stargazing.net/naa/scopemath.htm Enter your details of the scopes, and your age further down(exit pupil calculations) then observe the extremes it provides. I wouldnt go to those extremes ( only if using a Barlow) and then check the "Optimum"  uses. From that chart, you can then see what you already own, and they buy something accordingly. My Suggestion for starters is either an 8mm or 12MM BST Starguider ( barlowed would give equivalent 4mm and 6mm ) and then the Opitmal lens! For my 200P Id choose the 18mm then I either stop at 25mm due to barrel size or go into 2" and get me a 30+mm lens. But at real wide views, I use my Binoculars!

the big o........BST Lenses. You/I could have the BST`s in 5mm 8mm 12mm 15mm & 18mm plus a 2xBarlow for about £294 (spending this ammount over as much time as required, so not a massive outlay at once, and Yes, still dearer that the kit your looking at, but maybe better quality,with 60`degree AFOV and generous Eye relief (all maintained if using a Barlow)This would give 10 effective Eyepiece focal lengths from as little as 2.5mm up to 18mm (480x - 66x Magnification for my scope) I think 2.5mm  for my 200P is pushing the limits unless I find a secure dark site to use, so I may discount the 5mm lens, another £49 off. So my next purchase is probably the 12mm giving me 4mm(Barlowed) 6mm(Barlowed) 8mm & 12mm (I can still use the 25mm  MA/K [Modified Achromat Kellner]lens supplied) for wider views, but I might try the option from Alan at Skys,first. Like I said I like to use Binoculars for wide field, telescope for distant/close-up. So my final purchases could be the 12mm & 18mm + 2xBarlow @£150 or less depending on the barlow? Just checked your last text before posting. CHANGE THE 10mm ONLY? The 25mm is the same as mine, not too bad for now. Try the 8mm for £49, plus if you take the choice pay and try the 12mm or 18mm. If you dont leke them, send them back for the refund. Its all part of Alans service. contact him. But for now £49 for an 8mm is a good start. Others may agree shortly after reading this thread.

i have the 10mm and 25 mm that came with the telescope when i bought it. so i was thinking 8mm and 18mm. would that be ok?

I think they are a good choice and should compliment your scopes nicely. When you're ready to get your next, go for the 12mm.

I picked up this thread a little later than the others, but would like to mention my experience. I bought the same Celestron EP set earlier in the year brand new but for a second hand price (£80 delivered) via AstroBuySell.co.uk. Note that the focal lengths are from 6mm to 32mm these days - watch out because earlier sets were shorter so reviews are often pretty negative due to the very short eye relief of the short focal length Plossls. With your scopes which are f8 and f9.2, these EPs would be very useful, especially with your two different focal lengths (1200mm and 700mm) performing rather well provided you don't yearn for more than 52 degrees AFOV. They come with a quite decent multilens, multicoated Barlow, a proper N.96 Moon filter (again watch out for the old sets which also have bad reviews for both their Barlows and Moon filters). OK - I haven't yet found regular use for the coloured filters, but I just left them out of the very useful case, which then holds my red torch and the 10mm and 25mm Plossl EPs which came with my larger scope. Overall £80 well spent and providing a wide range of observational learning.

These days I also have access to a 6mm BGO and it feels to me to have similar eye relief to the 6mm Celestron Plossl but a narrower AFOV. 6mm in my Dob (1500mm) is often pushing magnifcation beyond the seeing limit, but useful for planetary and lunar observation and simple one-click EP projection photography with the 150p (750mm).

Archived