NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Starsense Review

Pig

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just thought shaun for accuracys sake, when you say the selected object is in the fov what ep did you try, and have you tried the bgo ?

Mike,

I used the 17.3 giving just under 136 x mag.

I have since used the 10mm D and it isn't quite so accurate, as an example Jupiter came in a high and to the right of centre but not by much and well within the FOV.  This offset wasn't consistent with all objects and the closer to the zenith or the horizon the more accurate it became. I did go back to Jupiter and it was in a slightly different position than the first time.

The 31mm Nagler ? Well you could fit a elephants wedding in its FOV and you would expect it to be there or there about. :grin:

There is a feature called precise goto and you can add up to 10 calibration reference points :shocked: So I will add a few and try the 9mm BGO, it should be a very good test esp with the FOV available and at 261 x mag.  :smiley:

lol I am so not the person to ask about AP :smiley:  I have only dabbled in it.

The instructions say it can be used for AP by using the "precise GoTo" or the "manual calibration" features. However, its not something I could personally endorse at this time :smiley:

lol I am so not the person to ask about AP :smiley:  I have only dabbled in it.

The instructions say it can be used for AP by using the "precise GoTo" or the "manual calibration" features. However, its not something I could personally endorse at this time :smiley:

Many thanks for your reply, onwards and upwards with polar align then :sad:

just thought shaun for accuracys sake, when you say the selected object is in the fov what ep did you try, and have you tried the bgo ?

Mike,

I tried the 9mm BGO with the Starsense unit last night to check for pointing accuracy and it went very well.

I went backwards and forwards several times between 3 stars and all were positioned at the correct height and about half way across its FOV (right sided)

So all in all it seems the higher the power and the smaller the FOV the less centred objects will appear in the eyepiece. (This may just be an exaggerated view of the 31mm that doesn't look off centre but is in fact a little off)

Note:

I don't think in a real life situation I would be searching for an object to view with a high mag smaller FOV BGO (261 x Mag), I would normally use a lower power High FOV and swap eyepieces as required.

Hope this clarifies your question.

Archived