Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Home made Herschel Wedge

Okeydokey

Was wondering about the practicalities.  I have seen mention by Merlin that he has managed this but can't find a link if there is one as to how he has managed this?   I suspect reversing the prism on a diagonal will feature, would be grateful for any insights/inputs.

No disclaimers needed.  This will be happening under cover of Baader film.   I thought I had posted this query before, must be something to do with my new (not so) super fast broadband connection!

Many thanks

I used a 30 degree 60mm prism from Surplus shed and mounted it on the rear of a 2" diagonal body (mirror removed).

There are details over on the Solar Chat forum.

http://solarchat.solarastronomy.org/index.php/en/

The same section shows other solutions based on reversed prism diagonals....

Once assembled and tested, you don't use an up front filter on a refractor......just the Herschel wedge and a ND3 filter.

HTH

I got it, Surplus shed seem to have run out of prism's.  I have spent a bit of time looking at what Mr Brewster had to say and well... I could do with a photo or two of what this looks like.

I suspect the Astro Engineering Herschel is something similar but will need to find another supplier of prisms I guess.

Thanks for you help! Certainly sets me off on the right track

Archived