Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First time out with telescope tonight!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome after my intro post. Really helps to know there is a supportive and knowledgeable community out there!

First time out with the telescope tonight. Hazy but blown away with the detail I saw on the Moon! Didn't expect to see so much. Better get swotting up on the maps...

I had 2 very simple (I expect) questions that would be great to get some help with please;

1. i have a Skywatcher Newtonian Reflector. The end of the telescope pointing to the sky has a front dust cover which in turn has a small aperture and removable lens? cover. Should I remove the whole dust cover to view objects? Or should I just remove the smaller lens cover? What's the purpose of this?

2. The telescope came with a x 2 deluxe Barlow lens 1.25. Can anyone pls tell me how I use this? Is it only for use with cameras?

Thanks very much!

Justin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Justin,

The whole cover needs to come off as this gives you the most aperture and hence the greatest light gathering power (and resolution). The smaller aperture is for solar observations (with appropriate filters etc). There is more here http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/172327-cap-in-the-main-cover-of-my-skywatcher-200p/

Dave

Really the whole thing should come off.

The small cover is for removing when looking at bright objects (just like the Moon :grin: :grin: )

Idea is they are bright enought that you don't need the full aperture.

Also the small cover is (can be) off set so you do not get the secondary and all the spider causing problems like spikes.

I personally would not suggest a solar filter over/for the small aperture only, if you go for a solar filter make one to go over the whole front aperture.

The Barlow: Fit that in the place where the eyepiece goes, then fit the eyepiece into the barlow, Gives you greater magnification (2x), may get a worse image however. Basically magnifies the image by the factor on the side of the barlow, usuall 2x.

Really the whole thing should come off.

The small cover is for removing when looking at bright objects (just like the Moon :grin: :grin: )

Idea is they are bright enought that you don't need the full aperture.

Also the small cover is (can be) off set so you do not get the secondary and all the spider causing problems like spikes.

I personally would not suggest a solar filter over/for the small aperture only, if you go for a solar filter make one to go over the whole front aperture.

The Barlow: Fit that in the place where the eyepiece goes, then fit the eyepiece into the barlow, Gives you greater magnification (2x), may get a worse image however. Basically magnifies the image by the factor on the side of the barlow, usuall 2x.

Perfect - thanks Ronin

Justin,

The whole cover needs to come off as this gives you the most aperture and hence the greatest light gathering power (and resolution). The smaller aperture is for solar observations (with appropriate filters etc). There is more here http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/172327-cap-in-the-main-cover-of-my-skywatcher-200p/

Dave

Thanks Dave

Unless observing the sun you should always use the full aperture of your scope.

Just removing the small lens cap means you are seriously cutting down the resolution your scope is capable of.

Stepping down is fine on large scopes (over 12") as it can improve the view when seeing is bad. On small scopes.......don't bother you'll get zero benefits and worsen the view.

If you find the moon too bright, get a filter. Don't step down your scope it will never improve the view.

Archived