Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Controlling my goto mount from my nice warm house

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I currently leave macbook outside, so I can see the screen as I adjust the focus, but once my imaging run starts I retire indoors and monitor the progress on my iMac using the screen share function over wifi.

Having read the comments in this thread I am now considering getting a powered USB hub and active cable so that I can bring the laptop in with me once focus is achieved, as I don't really like leaving it outside.

I've never tried remote screen sharing from a mac, what apps do I need to install to get that working? I'd like to view from ipad and another macbook if possible.

I'm thinking to get a hub too, at the moment my wiring is quota ad-hoc then packed all away after a session. I'm thinking I need to make some sort of box or something with a USB hub and all the wiring neatly going to one place and nicely tied up, going from the mount to the cameras and so on.

Yes I found leaving the mac book pro metal unibody outside it gets _very_ cold, inviting dew I expect. It's probably not ideal. Whereas the older plastic body mac book I'd not be so worried about.

However, with the hub and single long USB cable, I'd probably bring the laptop just inside too, so it's safe, then remote onto it for keeping an eye on from the warmth of indoors.

Just updated my DSLR control software, need to check that's working and get remote desktop working and it should be good to go!

I've never tried remote screen sharing from a mac, what apps do I need to install to get that working? I'd like to view from ipad and another macbook if possible.

I'm thinking to get a hub too, at the moment my wiring is quota ad-hoc then packed all away after a session. I'm thinking I need to make some sort of box or something with a USB hub and all the wiring neatly going to one place and nicely tied up, going from the mount to the cameras and so on.

Yes I found leaving the mac book pro metal unibody outside it gets _very_ cold, inviting dew I expect. It's probably not ideal. Whereas the older plastic body mac book I'd not be so worried about.

However, with the hub and single long USB cable, I'd probably bring the laptop just inside too, so it's safe, then remote onto it for keeping an eye on from the warmth of indoors.

Just updated my DSLR control software, need to check that's working and get remote desktop working and it should be good to go!

Louis,

You can use screen share between laptops/desktops from within OS X - no need for additional software. You just need to go into Preferences/Sharing on your laptop and tick 'Screen Share'. You should then be able to log in by going to 'Finder' on your other Mac and clicking on the relevant laptop in the shared devices on the left shortcut pane. It'll then give you the option to Screen Share. If you want to do it from your ipad you'll need to buy a separate app - I've not used it myself but Screens 3 gets fairly good reviews.

I agree about issues with unibody MacBook outside - I cover it with a sheet of bubble wrap and a waterproof jacket to keep the dew off, but I still don't like leaving it outside for too long.

Regards,

David

Just tried remote desktop sharing and it works perfectly. That was like the easiest thing I've ever setup, nice one Apple!

So I just need to find/get that long USB cable and pick up a small USB hub so the laptop near the telescope can be tucked just indoors. Connections will be;

Hub USB -> serial converter -> Mount (handset) for controlling the mount goto from Stellarium

Hub USB -> QHY5L-II -> ST80 guiding

Hub USB -> K5 for shutter control (or Pixel wifi shutter controller)

QHY5L-II to mount ST-4 cable

Laptop USB to outdoor USB hub cable (about 5 meters, ish)

Screen share from indoor laptop. Wi-fi networking

Can't wait to try this out!

Thanks for the screen sharing tip, never realised it would be so easy to enable!

Archived