NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sw planetary eyepieces

houston

The BST starguider ED has focal length 5, 8, 12, 15, 18 and 25, The 7mm BST is another serie, which is not as good as the star guider ED serie.

TMB has many clones, some are of better quality than the other, my HR planetary EPs are TMB clones too, they are quite good. The TMBs sold at Sky's the Limit are good too judging by the reviews I've read.

I use a 5mm SW on a SW 150p & get good views of Jupiter's clouds & Saturn's cassini division with it, focusing can be fun, especially with a 2x barlow.

I'm sure there are better eyepieces out there but for £40 can't complain :-)

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Anyone used a 5mm sw eyepiece on 200p. Gonna get one but thinking might be too much mag???

Up to 5mm might work.

I have tried to use my 9mm Plossl barlowed to 4.3mm (at 280x mag)

But I am still waiting for the right conditions to see Jupiter properly, and the finer crater detail on the moon.

The image was bigger - but not any clearer than at 160x / 210x.

One night the dew and moisture will clear and I get a chance to use the higher magnification.

210x mag is OK with a Barlowed 12mm Plossl - but only just.

I have a feeling that the basic Plossl type EP's won't cut the mustard.

Even a 5mm BST Starguider might be tested at these higher magnifications of 240x.

It would be nice to know how it gets on.

I am looking at a similar type of purchase to match my 68 degree MaxVisions, and the BST Starguider is only £49.

I find that 150x on planets hits the sweet spot for me, I use the William Optics SPL 6mm on my refracter (f/9), 200x is too much for the 200P I have found, although that's its published 'maximum useful magnification), for most nights I have not found the 'seeing' good enough for this.

I would sing along with Robin's tune, it is very easy to fall into the higher mag is better temptation.  Personally the smaller the aperture I find the more the mag is pushed down for the nicer views for me. In my Heritage 130p I found myself frequently looking at around 81x and 108x on Jupiter with two of the eyepieces I have, this may not seem like much, but it is not often that with high mag I could tease out a lot more detail, considering the magnification ranges I have also mind you.  The higher in mag you go the more the contrast and crispness/clarity of what you see will be battling out with how big you want to see it, on top of the quality and sky conditions that are on offer on any given night will be more or less limiting.

Admittedly magnification can also be a bit or a personal thing, it seem to me I tend go on the lesser side compared to some from reading around. With a Dob there is also the whole how often do you want to nudge it to keep it view depending on the FOV you are using. On the other hand with the 10 inch Dob it is a different story as to the mags I like more on something like Jupiter, there it is often more a question of, what mags will the skies allow me to push whilst keeping a good view, last week that was somewhere between 200 - 300x but that is very very rare, the sky was very steady that night, mostly in the 10 inch I like < 200x still.

Archived