Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Light pollution vs objects to capture?

Marvaz

Just wondering. Having a extremely light polluted skies and using DSLR with Astronomik Cls I'm quite limited with AP. There is a long list of objects that is pointless to try, but being reasonable what kind of criteria I should consider before I choose object to capture?

In the other what to try having bad skies?

For example I was thinking about M33 but friend of mine said these galaxy required dark skies?

What's your thoughts?

Regards

Marek

You could try going through this list: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/projects/3074841.html?page=2&c=y

However if your skies are as you say extremely light polluted then you will not be happy with the results. Anti light pollution filters help, but they can't substitute for dark skies. So I wouldn't hold my breath, especially if you're using uncooled, unmoded DSLR.

The only way out is to take your AP setup and go to a place with reasonably dark skies or to swich to narrowband imaging (frustrating with a DSLR).

This is my M33 so far. The light pollution here is about as bad as it can be, and even M45 The Pleiades is sometimes hard to spot. The image is 51 minutes guided in 3 minute subs, ISO 400, taken in the lighter nights of August, with an un-modified Nikon D50 and a Light Pollution filter.

Dark sky is preferable, but there's still much you can do in a LP sky.

m33c.jpg

Archived