NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bought a used EQ6 and have a few questions

I bought a used EQ6 at the weekend as my first mount as I want to image so have thrown my self in at the deep end somewhat.  I have a few questions if some of you would be so kind.

Are there any internal cables I need to worry about when rotating on either axis?  Having looked at the design externally it looks to be okay but I'd rather check than assume.

I have been powering the mount to test at home via a battery booster that's pretty much had it.  I will, initially anyway, be imaging and observing at home so logic says go mains powered but then there's a lot to be said for battery power as it means 1 power rig not 2 when I later want to head out.  

I've been looking at this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290980410231?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 but they also do a single output version (without the display) and a variable voltage (5-15V) version.

The power lamp is flashing on the mount, does this mean low power?  And if so will the damage the mount in anyway if operated (with no OTA attached).

These mounts need a minimum of 12.4v and yes, the light flashes at 12v.  A regulated 13.8v PSU is the best thing to use and is what I use.  I use a separate supply for the mount and run everything else off another.  I would think the twin output model you mention would be a good bet but no guarantees as I don't know it.  I use the Maplin 13.8v 7A regulated power supply (also sold be FLO) as do many others on here.

The Fusion dual power supply arrived today.  I did toy with the single output model but I liked the idea of the display showing the draw.  It seems reasonably well made, touch plastic maybe but so long as I don't drop it I can't see that being an issue.  There is a fan that comes on when you switch it on so it doesn't seem to be a temperature controlled one.

Output wise I stuck a meter on both outputs and you get a steady 13.86V on both.  

I also got my 2.1mm plugs so I just need to order a new soldering iron as I remembered mines dead and I'll be good to go.  I've ordered some banana plugs too but they've not arrived  but aren't 100% needed anyway as I could use the screw clamps.

I've noticed the cable I got with the mount (an astronomer one I believe) has a ferrite choke on it just before the plug, is it worth me cutting up a dead USB cable to pinch one or is it not really needed?

Well I've made a power cable this evening, FAR too long but I can shorten it but I can't make it longer.  The power supply is performing admirably, tracking draw is indicated at about 0.2 - 0.4A and slewing draws between 1.2 and 1.3A on average occasionally peaking up to about 1.7A.  I was a bit worried about the current side as I could only get cable rated to 2.5A but the 0.8A head room should be plenty I feel.

I will however have to raid the quality street for a bit of red cellophane to cover the display as it's a rather bright blue at the moment.

Archived