iOptron IEQ45 GTN V's Skywatcher NEQ6

John

Can anyone tell me how these EQ mounts would compare for visual observing with a long, heavy refractor ?.

I realise the the iOptron is quite a lot lighter and is more expensive but I'm interested in it's load carrying capacity and ability to hold a long tubed scope steady enough for visual observing. On paper their carrying capacity appears similar but in the real world things might be different !

Thanks  :smiley:

iEq45 design doesn't lend itself to long scopes due to the "bouncy" nature of the worm ass'y, I have one and it works great for imaging with WO 110 FLT but wouldn't want to try anything longer. The NEQ6 is considerably heavier but should have no problems with longer scopes.

I bought mine for a portable setup as I didn't fancy humping the NEQ6 about (getting on a bit :) ) if it's for obsy then NEQ6 is the way to go or even NEQ8  if you're feeling flush.

Dave

Hi John,

I had the same dilemma earlier in the year:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/178625-eq6-or-ioptron-ieq45/

I would say no to the ioptron for a long refractor and yes to the NEQ6, Olly has first hand experience on the matter as he trialled one and as Dave mentioned in the previous post.

Strangely I ended up with neither, but a Celestron CGEM?? 

Hope that helps,

Neil.

Archived