Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 5d

jambouk

I'd like to do more widefield imaging, with some form of light pollution filter (as i live in a light polluted area [south nottingham]). I've currently got a Canon 600d dslr, but i'd like a more sensitive (less noisy) sensor.

Would i notice a massive jump in sensitivity if i had a canon 5d? Would i notice this difference if i could only afford a second hand mark 1 canon 5d?

Thanks for any replies.

James

Try an astronomik CLS filter, I have one, and find it useful, although the image will be blue after. This can be fixed with Photoshop. I'm guessing the 5D won't have live view, as it's the same age as my 350D. Have you tried different ISO's? I shoot at 800, and it's a nice balance. I've just had an EOS 60D, and pushing the ISO higher makes quite a lot of noise.

The 6d has live view.

I've tried the clip filter, and it does greatly cut the light pollution but also massively cuts light from the target(s) too. Increasing ISO above 1600 makes my images very grainy/noisy.

I've seen some of the stuff online the 6d can achieve and I'm blown away, though much of this has been achieved with fast lenses and my fastest lens is an f/1.8 fixed 50mm.

James

As yet there isn't a clip filter for the full frame cameras namely the  5D (All Mk's) &  6D... Maybe some one will come up with something....

I bought a 77mm IDAS "front" filter and step rings to use with my 5D Mk III and various lenses but once you start getting really wide then this isn;t such a good solution...

Peter...

Email reply from the company about the clip for full frame cameras:

"Dear Mr. Dawson,

thanks for your eMail!

Please consider that the use of FF cameras at telescopes produces up to 75% vignetting at the edges!

The Astronomik EOS XL clip filter system is designed for focal length of 30 mm and longer. Shorter lenses might produce together with the filter coma.

All Astronomik filters with the adding 'CCD' have in addition an IR/UV blocking. The CCD version is _not_ required for CCD or CMOS sensors if there is already an IR/UV filter into the light path.

Best regards..."

James

I have just bought the 6D and are very impressed with the low noise on it, i've had 600D and 7D earlier and the 6D is another world when it comes to noise. ISO 6400 on the 6D is almost the same as ISO 1600 on 600D/7D.

A friend of me has the 5D II and it's better than the crop cameras, but the 6D is still way ahead of it when it comes to noise.

Never tried the 5D classic, but the sensor has half the sensitivity of the 6D and lower than 18mpix crop cameras so i wouldn't waste time and money on a camera that old.

You can compare quantum efficiency of different sensors here: http://www.sensorgen.info/

I'm so satisified with my 6D that i'm gonna get it modified pretty soon :) 

I bought a 6D and although it is early days (i.e. not much opportunity to use it for astrophotography over the summer), the results are generally very impressive in low light situations.  I chose it for astrophotography because it has a high sensitivity, a large sensor, and a relatively modest number of megapixels spread over the sensor area (so each captures more light than an equivalent sized sensor with a higher megapixel count, thus reducing noise).

Paul.

There are some beautiful images to be taken with an unmodified DSLR,  Globular clusters and other surface bright DSO's, enough to keep you occupied for years :) 

Looking forward to seeing the 6D in action guys..

A couple of examples of test images taken using my Canon 6D.  I am still very new to the whole imaging thing, so if a clueless person like me can take images like these, someone who knows what they are doing should be able to really show what the camera is capable of.

The first is a single image of M57, taken on a Celestron CPC800 (unguided) with a 5x powermate:

The second is a composite image (imaged in sections then merged in photoshop) taken in Scotland in August, using the camera at F/4 24mm, on a standard photographic tripod:

Milky Way

Paul

Nice. How long was the exposure of M57 for? And what ISO? I could get a similar image on my 600d if i did a 120 second exposure at ISO 1600 or so (i think), so i'll be interested to know the settings the 6d needed for that; hopefully 5 seconds at ISO 400 :)

The M57 image was a 60s exposure at ISO6400.  I tried shorter exposures at higher ISO settings, with similar results (not too noisy), but on an unguided (and AltAz) mount nearly all my images had some smearing of the stars, and it was only by chance that the above image was captured with reasonably sharp(ish) stars.

Archived