Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Question about Stellarium & basic observing

Hi

I'm new to this

I'm just trying to locate Pegasus. I thought it might help to use the software programme Stellarium so I could see a diagram on the computer and compare it to the night sky.

So; my first question is - is this the right place to ask Stellarium related questions? If so...

I thought maybe I could type 'Markab' into Stellarium and thus get it to show me at least that corner of the constellation. Is this possible with Stellarium?

My second question is more general. All I really want to do is locate Pegasus. I can see a couple of candidates but I'm not sure if I've really got it or not. What would someone recommend to a complete beginner like myself as the best way to spot Pegasus?

with thanks

--Venera9

post-30537-0-41158200-1383004463_thumb.j

At the bottom of stellarium screen is a button bar that pops up when you move the mouse to lower left of the screen. The first two icons when you press them will show you constellation lines and labels.  The labels should make it clear. 

Hi

I'm new to this

I'm just trying to locate Pegasus. I thought it might help to use the software programme Stellarium so I could see a diagram on the computer and compare it to the night sky.

So; my first question is - is this the right place to ask Stellarium related questions? If so...

I thought maybe I could type 'Markab' into Stellarium and thus get it to show me at least that corner of the constellation. Is this possible with Stellarium?

My second question is more general. All I really want to do is locate Pegasus. I can see a couple of candidates but I'm not sure if I've really got it or not. What would someone recommend to a complete beginner like myself as the best way to spot Pegasus?

with thanks

--Venera9

I don't see why you can't ask Stellarium questions here as many members here do use it.

You can find an "object" such as a star by searching for it. Ctrl F (similar to lots of other programs) and type the name in the box.  It should then find it and mark it with a red cross-hair.

The square of Pegasus is fairly big.  I think the diagram below shows how to locate it quite well.  You do need to identify Polaris using Ursa Major and Cassiopeia both of which are easy to recognise constellations.

Question for you.  Why Pegasus?

pegusus_chart_300.jpg

attachicon.gifstellarium 2013-10-28 23-51-41-58.jpg

At the bottom of stellarium screen is a button bar that pops up when you move the mouse to lower left of the screen. The first two icons when you press them will show you constellation lines and labels.  The labels should make it clear. 

Thanks. I hadn't even noticed that. That does the trick. 

I don't see why you can't ask Stellarium questions here as many members here do use it.

You can find an "object" such as a star by searching for it. Ctrl F (similar to lots of other programs) and type the name in the box.  It should then find it and mark it with a red cross-hair.

The square of Pegasus is fairly big.  I think the diagram below shows how to locate it quite well.  You do need to identify Polaris using Ursa Major and Cassiopeia both of which are easy to recognise constellations.

Question for you.  Why Pegasus?

pegusus_chart_300.jpg

Thanks. No reason for Pegasus. It just looked big and easy. I have found it. Many thanks. 

I'm never off Stellarium at the moment, it does take a while to suss out all its tools however. Since we're talking Stellarium, rather than start a new thread, could I briefly hijack your thread Venera9 and ask if anyone knows how to find Halley's Comet with it? I've seen transits, lunar and solar eclipses aplenty but can't find Halley either with it's designation or by typing "Halley's Comet" into the search box.

Sorry for butting into your thread Venera9!

No, sorry I should've said that; I had compiled a list of dates post-1066 (especially the 1910/86 appearances) and just can't find the thing at all! I read an article that in March/April 1986 it was to be sighted in Aquarius. Damned if I could find it though, on any of the years/dates in question! It's orbit is meant to be Perhaps additional syntax is necessary to sight Halley?

Archived