M42 & The Coathanger

Here are a couple more from last night, my first go at both targets with the 75-300mm lens at 300mm.

The lens has it's limitations but I'm very impressed what I got out of M42 with just a bunch of 30 second exposures, Brocchis cluster is one of my favourite objects too and hopefully I can improve on that in the future.

Both are stacks of 30 seconds, ISO 1600, f/9.0, cheapo 75-300mm lens, Canon 450D and the Polarie.

10543581125_141cb43998.jpg

10542504034_c35fcd9eb3.jpg

Thank you all for the nice comments. :)

Good results there JB.. :)

Any particular reason why you stopped down to f9, was that just for the stars in the coathanger or on Orion as well.

Cheers.

The 75-300mm lens isn't all that good and suffers from terrible chromatic aberration and distortion plus it's extremely soft and you get bloaty stars, it gets worse the longer you go on the lens.

I'd honestly think about stopping it down further but not sure I see the point.

I have since read of an action in PS which may help the stars and I read a claim that you can make a mask which effectively is a stop down mask and it reportedly stops the CA.

I'll keep plugging away with it though until I can upgrade it after all I think it did alright on M42.

I'm thinking of instead of a new Canon lens to get something like a mini Borg or equivalent.

Yes, good go. Brocchi's would benefit from balancing the colour, which is green-dominated at the moment. The colour balance on M42 is fine.

Olly

Thank you Olly, You are right about the green, I missed that first time around. I'll see if I can address that when I get a chance.

I really didn't play with the colour balance a great deal on M42, it is more or less how it came out the camera colour wise with just a little boost.

I have been looking at camera lenses and the Canon 200l looks like it would be a bit good as well as being very fast. The 300mm f4 looks intersesting to and can be used with a 1.4 extender which will make it good for astro and birds.. Decisions, but I am not going to buy anymore gear until I feel tht I have got my head around the processing part a bit better..

The good thing about using good lenses is that you get to use them for other areas of photography..

I don't have a wide selection of lenses and most of them are standard kit ones but the two best things that has helped things along was less light polluted skies and remembering I had the nifty 50 packed away. That lens is a top little performer and very sharp and using that kind of resparked things.

I understand about the processing though, I never feel like I'm doing things right and I really can't seem to ever get good flats either.

The 200l does look to be a good lens for sure but it is a bit pricey, that's what got me thinking is a lens upgrade or two wont come cheap but the Borg 45 or 50ED are much cheaper and very good for what they are, plus the polarie should cope with them.

I don't know, I'll see how I feel a bit down the track and take it from there.

Just had a lok at the 50mm borg and is certainly looks like a it would make a good purchase, I had no idea that the borg had babies. I was lucky with my Sigama lens, my Mum gave it to me as it had gotten to heavy for her. One day though it will be nice to have a fast lens but I hope to spend most of the winter at the eyepiece.

Have to say im very impressed by the Orion image considering 30 sec subs at F9! How many subs was it?

Thanks.

90 subs, so that makes it 45 minutes of exposures all up. I probably threw a heap of bad ones out as well.

Just had a lok at the 50mm borg and is certainly looks like a it would make a good purchase, I had no idea that the borg had babies. I was lucky with my Sigama lens, my Mum gave it to me as it had gotten to heavy for her. One day though it will be nice to have a fast lens but I hope to spend most of the winter at the eyepiece.

I know, they look quite the little thing. I wonder if Borg are the only ones doing something like that?

I always keep the door open for lenses or stuff like that as gifts for birthdays, Christmas. Sometimes it comes in handy.

Archived