NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Walter Scott Houston

mdstuart

You'll love it. I read it 3 months ago for the first time and was rewarded with the kind of warm descriptions that nobody seems to do much of anymore...unashamed subjective characterizations and appreciations rather than the kind of feigned objectivity/fact-driven dryness and sterility that seems to have infected so many these "Information" days. Congratulations. But I gotta ask, what ever in the world prompted this "dated" choice? Did someone recommend it as a classic?

I picked it as I like the Sue French deep sky wonders articles and this guy wrote them for just under 50 years.

I am reading it for inspiration. His descriptions make me want to view old favourites in the sky again.

So far I have read October and November. Cassiopeas clusters are now back on my agenda along with NGC 147 and 185!

Mark

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

Inspiration...yes, that's apt. I felt the same way. We had to come up with an observing list for a week-long session at a dark sky site 1,500 miles away. I was borrowing from every sort of resource and other books, but when I came upon his Wonders I simply ended up reading from cover to cover for the pleasure of it...couldn't put it down.

Archived