Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Did i see Uranus?

Hi all,

Quick question I need help with. I was taking advantage of the clear skies which seem to have been few and far between recently. I was trying to find Uranus as the title suggests, and think I found it. However, looking at the image, I could only see the disc as a white circle. I have heard that the disc should appear as blue/green, but it was very slight if at all. When I upped the mag the disc keep its shape and was quite easy to distinguish from other stars.

The equipment I was using was a skywatcher 200p (1200 f/l) with a TV 11mm plossl and a BGO 6mm, so pretty decent stuff, so the colour/contrast should be ok. The planet wasn't too low, but the moon had risen so maybe that washed the colour out a bit.

Im pretty sure it was Uranus, but its just the lack of colour that is bugging me and made me doubt whether it was in fact the planet. If someone could offer their opinion I would be most grateful.

Clear Skies

Ian

Hi Ian,

Got my first view of it this evening. Under low power there was a reddish star to the north of it. As I upped the mag it became a definite, if small, disc whereas stars remained 'points'. I found the colour subtle and dull (subdued maybe if I was being a bit more creative). But it was definitely different from the white of a star.

Lee

I don't know if it helps but this is the star hop I did a couple of weeks back:

post-21324-0-61148000-1382568006_thumb.p

And this was the sketch of Uranus (and Neptune) and its relative size in comparison with the surrounding stars. The true field of view was 0.16º, magnification was at 250x. Uranus at this power was clearly not star like and on the particular evening showed to my eye a clear hint of early morning light wash blue:

post-21324-0-03861400-1382568350_thumb.j

From what you say on one way it seems you found it , because the disk like nature at higher mag is clearly evident, but so is the colour, at least it was to me. Neighbouring stars and when hopping to it though should make it a pretty much unmistakable find in that area, because from what I recall there is nothing near there would appear disk like. I was out briefly myself tonight. I did not have a go at Uranus, but transparency was pretty awful and the moon rising as well a bit later. I wonder if conditions would have a bit of bearing on it to make it paler somehow, other than I am not  sure.

edit: I should add that I viewed it through a cheap 6mm sky-watcher  UWA in a 10 inch Dob,  but that eyepiece is not exactly the most contrast laden quality eyepiece, but still the colour was there, very evident.

Another point as you can see in that sketch, the neighbouring stars form that characteristic pattern.

Only other final thoughts, If this is your first time observing something that small it not actually a disk that you saw .. possibly ? but it is pretty much the point  at which you know you nailed it.  The disk is really a disk, nice and round with a well defined edge ( as shown in the Qualia sketch), and not in anyway star like at all at 200x or so , but how you describe it, it seems pretty convincing in terms of shape. 

Hello Ian,

I have just come in from a session observing Uranus. I have seen it a few times recently and have to agree that the colour tonight was very subtle, very very pale blue if not plain grey. A couple of weeks ago I remember it as a nice pale blue. Can't really think why although seeing conditions weren't great tonight and the moon is bright.

Chris.

Archived