Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC7000 complete Narrowband

petercoxphoto

I'm not sure why this image hasn't had any comments so far but I'll give it a go Peter.

First I'd say that if the image is the way you want it then ignore what I'm going to say :)

Taken channel by channel there seems to be a few odd things. The red channel looks like much of it has been stripped out and replaced with black. The info tool reports 0 and 1 across great swathes of it and is badly clipped. Also some of the mid tones seem muddy. A few highlights are very bright.

The blue channel seems to have been bleached out. This time there are vast areas of 250 / 255. This looses much of the detail but I'll admit it does come back when colour mixed. I don't think I've ever seen so many pixels crowded around the white point.

The green channel could stand alone as a fine mono.

The Ha you posted before looked ok.

If the intention was to create an almost monotone blue then this is the way to go. It's an effect of using " Selective Colour " I think.

Dave.

Love the night time, time lapse on your site.

Hi Peter,

The effects I see could have come from Selective Colour as I said. I can see the appeal of this as the OIII regions would tend to take on a white / grey / blue hue in many cases.

Don't forget this - Do it your way. It's your image :)

Dave.

The general look is more or less what I'm after - the appeal of NB images to me is often the blue of the OIII, so it will still be emphasised. The image was made with J-P Metsavainio's tonemapping technique and I may have gone a little overboard. I hadn't noticed that the blue was so clipped.

Cheers,
Peter

Archived