NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Antares Achro Telescopes

I believe Antares refractors are made in China. The ones I've seen are virtually identical to ones bearing Meade, Telescope Services (TS) and Explore Scientific branding.

Some of the Antares branded eyepieces and barlows are assembled in Canada from components imported from China or, in a few cases, Japan.

In Canada they advertise them as Made in Canada but I think some of the components ie focuser, diagonal etc are made overseas and the rest in Canada ! They are completely assembled in Canada though !!

In Canada they advertise them as Made in Canada but I think some of the components ie focuser, diagonal etc are made overseas and the rest in Canada ! They are completely assembled in Canada though !!

I had a Antares barlow lens which had Made in Canada on the box but Made in Japan printed in two places on the barlow itself !

Perhaps Glen Speers checks each one before packing it ?

You would have to dig deep into what "Made in Canada" actually covers. These days it can have very little relevance. That is certainly true over here. So you may find that it is not a comprehensive as often thought.

In what could be the worst case the diagonal could be attached to the ready built OTA and focuser, thus making the scope complete. Someone then puts the assembled scope into a case and that's it.

So besides finding out the limits of "Made in Canada" you would also need some idea of what precisely Antares do at their site.

One aspect is if they do make one or two items more or less completely thus enabling them to put "Made in Canada" of those Antares items, does that also allow them to say "Made in Canada" on Antares items in general?

Archived