NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Green and White twinkle near Orion?

demonicrage

Hi guys, on my way to work this morning I saw in the southern sky what I can only describe a green and white twinkling star, I have had a look on starchart and it isn't on there making me think I could have been ISS or satellite, did anyone else see this, I saw it around 05:30 - 06:00.

If anyone else saw what it was please let me know as it's been bugging me all day :)

Thank you

Kris

The twinkling was due to atmospheric refraction, because it was low in the sky. Any bright star will be seen to twinkle in different colours when near the horizon, and Sirius is the second brightest star in the sky after the Sun. This means that it's not well suited for viewing through a telescope (e.g. in search of its companion, the Pup) unless you just want to watch it twinkle - though that can be a pretty sight. As it rises higher it twinkles less, and if the air is steady enough then it will stop twinkling and look a steady white.

The twinkling was due to atmospheric refraction, because it was low in the sky. Any bright star will be seen to twinkle in different colours when near the horizon, and Sirius is the second brightest star in the sky after the Sun. This means that it's not well suited for viewing through a telescope (e.g. in search of its companion, the Pup) unless you just want to watch it twinkle - though that can be a pretty sight. As it rises higher it twinkles less, and if the air is steady enough then it will stop twinkling and look a steady white.

Thanks for for explaination. I saw the colorful Sirius in my scope first when I  was trying to have a go on the Pup.

Archived