NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Few questions

Hi, a few years back I bought a http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Reflector-Telescopes/Orion-SpaceProbe-3-Equatorial-Reflector-Telescope/pc/-1/c/1/sc/11/p/9843.uts

I know its not much of a scope, but I didn't want to drop a ton of cash on a new hobby that I wasnt sure I would get in to.

Long story short, I really liked using it, but aside from the moon and occasionally saturn, there wasn't much i could see with it from my light polluted skies and it has mostly just collected dust.

In a few weeks we'll be moving to our new house outside the city with much better skies :) and I can't wait to see what I can see

I'd like to upgrade to a setup I can eventually use for imaging and have my eye on a http://www.canadiantelescopes.com/Shop-By-Brand/Refractors_6/Orion-ED80-80mm-f-7-5-Apochromatic-Refractor-Telescope_2.html#.Ulrsj1CsiSo but first I wanted to make sure this is the right ed80 i see people recommend for getting started with imaging.

My next question is would I be able to mount that scope on the crappy tripod/mount that came with my first telescope and use it for some observing? The wife isn't going to be on board with buying the new scope and a heq5 pro at the same time so I need to pace myself.

Cheers!

If it was me, I would stick with the scope you have for now and see what you can see from your new location. Dark skies make such a difference. If you find you are still keen on astronomy then maybe think about an upgrade.

Looks like the same set of optics, an 80mm ED doublet at f/7.5.

Being a doublet them using the term "apo" is not really correct, and I believe that you can still see some CA present when on brighter objects.

Not sure about the mount you have being suitable, the "old" scope has a weight of 4lbs, the "new" one is 5.7lbs and you need to add a diagonal, so say 6 lbs. That is 50% increase.

However not sure what other scopes that mount is supplied with, your present one may be lighter then it can handle safely, just don't know.

I'll definitely wait to check out my new location before making any purchases but I like to plan things out so I have time to research and consider my options

It looks like the mount is rated to hold 7 lbs so I think it should be OK to hold the scope and diagonal (which I hadn't thought of so thanks :) )

The 2nd scope you link to is the same scope as the Skywatcher ED80 Pro. It's objective lens is ED doublet with one element made from FPL-53 glass. I've owned one of the Orion branded ones and it was, apart from the gun metal grey finish, identical to the Skywatcher ED80. Very nice scopes and, only showing a touch of chromatic aberration on the brightest stars. Apo enough for me, for visual use  :smiley:

If you are serious about getting into imaging then i would suggest that you get the mount first and use the old scope until you can afford the better scope as i think the most important thing about imaging is the mount .good luck getting it pass the o/h! ;) Clear Skies Tim

My 2p's worth.

Never under mount any scope. A scope on a wobbly mount is a nightmare to use visually, and for imaging it's utterly useless.

The frustration you'll get by under mounting a scope will drive you round the bend and dampen any enthusiasm you have.

I would get the mount first, no question about it.

Archived