Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cheap stand-alone recording solutions?

Schorhr

Hello,

yes, I have seen the CCTV security hard-disk recorders, but are there any budget solutions?

Something in the price range of this

http://www.ebay.de/itm/EU-12V-New-CCTV-Security-Surveillance-System-DVR-102-Recorder-Monitor-TF-7309-/261296529589?pt=US_Surveillance_Digital_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item3cd67ca0b5

but with full pal/ntsc resolution?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/4CH-USB-DVR-CCTV-Digital-Security-Camera-Video-Recorder-PAL100FPS-NTSC120FPS-/321068241362?pt=US_Surveillance_Digital_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item4ac12891d2

seems another alternative, but for that I could get a 30€ RaspberryPi, a 5€ video grabber and a 15€ 4.2" screen ;-)

Hi Marcus....I'm not completely confident with them,, I spent 90 pounds on mine and its not top notch but going to be better than the four channel usb I bought previously. ...that was a waste of time and money. ..the unit I have just bought from ebay is a h.264 network embedded dvr 4 channel. ..god this is going to take a while. ...summary ...its a stand alone digital monitoring and recording device with a standalone processor and Linux operating system.

Main function. ..simultaneous tv and vga output. .multi channel video and audio and compressed in real time..back up to a usb port. ..each channel can realize independent and real time recording, while retrieval, reverse play , network monitoring, video search and download ect, can realize multiple playback modes:slow forward, fast forward, reverse play and frame by frame play. .when playing back video exact time is displayed. ...through the internet, you can realize remote and real time monitoring, remote video search and playback and remote ptz control. ...communication port rs485 and ptz control. With standard Ethernet port realizing network remote control. ..ptz control. Support the ptz decoder which communicates through rs485 can expand multiple decoding protocols for camera and dome.....750 gb hard drive......what I have found..picture quality is good and response time is good too...there is a phazing of light going left to right on the screen ghosted on colour i need to sort out, ok on b&w setting ..I'm pleased with operation of it up to now,, waiting on more bits being delivered to test better and later I hope to rig my mobile phone internet connection to it....moral is don't scrimp on this,, when you see what you can achieve with it you will wish you had done it earlier. ...Davy

Hello Davy,

what was wrong with the 4 channel usb recorder?

For 90gbp I'dd rather print a case for rPi+TFT+SD+My current USB stick;

More universal for other projects too, costs only half and it can control the telescope itself, too.

Sort like a rPi-Handset with build-in recording.

I can't comment on your suggestion because I've never tried it...what I was saying was I've tried a cheap usb 4 channel and it was very poor, the transfer time from camera to laptop was very slow and software was less than useful. .I can comment on what I have bought and my reason for buying it...and the function bit will have with the mobile set up I'm creating. .but on the other hand would be a great piece for an observitory set up as well...the function for me is to allow up to four cameras to record to the device that only draws 2amps and can be viewed via a monitor at the mount without the use of a laptop or using a lan cable attatch it to the laptop and using software and rs485 connection control the camera or attatchment a router and using a mobile phone internet connection even broadcast live internet from a dark site..my mount 12v, cameras 12v, monitor 12v, cctv dvr 12v and laptop can be used to operate mount...may not be everyones cup of tea but it does what it says on box and as I've not seen any rewiews of this type of set up its a learning curve...its a gamble buying and using equipment not laid out for astronomy use,, but that's the beauty of this forum were here to learn and experiment for the good of others. Davy

Archived