Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which mounting plate/bar?

IF01

Relatively new to astronomy - bought a 2nd hand WO Zenithstar 66SD APO which I have had about 4 weeks now and very pleased with. I have just bought a Skywatcher EQ2 mount but have no idea which mounting bar I need to get the Zenithstar to fit it. Can anyone help please?

The WO should have a vixen style foot on it. That fits a vixen saddle. I've never had a look at an EQ2 & I can't see the manual or a good enough picture on OVL's site. Does it have a vixen saddle? If so it should fit as it is. You can also get a longer vixen bar & screw that to the bottom of the foot if you need more adjustable length to balance.

Hmmm I found a picture. Looks like it has a bar bolted on top that takes tube rings. I wonder if you could fit a saddle to that.. something like this.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-guidescope-rings-and-systems/adm-vixen-style-saddle.html

Ah looks like someone else had the same problem..

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/21736-dovetail-and-rings/

Thx space_d,

Me being a complete numpty I have absolutely no idea if that is what I need or not :-)

Perhaps I should take a pic and upload.

I got caught out when I got my ST80 to use as a guide scope 2 or 3 years back It came with a plastic bar on the tube rings. I think its the same type that fits your EQ2 by the looks of it. Some one will come along who has one & confirm I'm sure and of course FLO (other reputable retailers are available)  will tell you what you need if you drop them an enquiry. You might be able to bolt the vixen foot direct to the plate if you have some screws. But that would be a bit of a pain if you travel with it.

Haha.. posted at same time.. yes that looks like it will do the job.. The only thing I don't like about it, is the screw will mark the vixen foot. I'm a bit fussy, thats why I like the type that tighten a plate along the entire length of the saddle. But yes.. that'll do the job

EDIT: If you are worried about marking the WO foot then you could get a vixen bar & bolt it to the foot, so only the bar gets marked. That would give you a bit more adjustment to balance the scope anyway.

As scope was bought 2nd hand it already has some marks on the foot - so I'm not too bothered about it. just need to get up and running with the right stuff. You don't find out about what you need till you satrt trying to piece it all together and start asking people ;-)

Archived