SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dovetail and rings??

rob7

I've been heading towards buying 'another' mount to sit my Celestron C6 sct for casual stargazing and terrestial observing. Thing is I've already got a CG5 goto, EQ1, EQ2, and Dob mount so I didn't want to spend on another just yet [was looking at the Astrotech Voyager alt-az at £210 delivered]. So being a scrooge I tinkered with my EQ2 tonight and converted it to work like a alt-az. [Far happier with the result then I expected and now plan to use this mount for casual observing]. My only dilemma is on how to mount the sct to the EQ2. The EQ2 has scope rings which were for a 5" Skywatcher Newt', whereas my 6" sct has the dovetail bar. So, how can I mount a dovetail saddle plate to the scope ring mount of the Skywatcher EQ2? Is there something straightforward you can buy from a shop or will it involve some 'adapting'?

I'm not to familiar with some of the adapters and accessory names and and what they do, so please be gentle with me....

Regards, Rob.

You'll have to get a set of rings and a dovetail for the C6 (about £40 total), you may also have to remove the existing bar from the C6. Are you sure the EQ2 is up to carrying a C6? I tried a 5" Mak on one once and while it would carry the scope it wasn't steady enough for even casual looks.

Thanks Gaz for the reply. Thing is, I didn't want to remove the existing dovetail bar off the C6 if I could find an adapter to allow fitment of a dovetail saddle to the EQ2. As for carrying a C6 on a EQ2, well I'm not sure what the result would be like, as at the moment the EQ2 is carrying a 130mm/900mm Newt'. I'm trying to be wise with my funds, so using the EQ2 I already have seemed sensible? The main use in alt-az mode would be terrestial viewing as I have the CG5 for more serious stargazing. A few tenners spent on the EQ2 'adapter' if there is such a thing, would be a nice saving compared to £200 odd and mor on a true alt-az. Obviously this only applies if the EQ2 can actually cope with basic observing...

Rob.

Damn! Thats a big setback for my plan of world domination. If I can't get an saddle adapter, I'll have to look at the ring method. Would be a bit annoying having to take the dovetail off when using the rings for alt-az though. [as ever, nothings ever straightforward]!!!

Rob.

I'm not exactly sure/clued up as to how you would fasten the replacement dovetail on the EQ2. Has it some threaded holes to mount it to the EQ2 mount? If so, would that mean while it just slips into my CG5 dovetail saddle, hand tightening the locking screw, on the EQ2 I would have to fasten it on with bolts to the existing plate using a tool. Sorry If I sound confused, as I am!!! Once I understand the ring/dovetail method, I guess it would help in practical terms as when the need arises I would be able to spin the ota to acheive a better position to view through the diagonal.

Rob.

• 4 weeks later...

I've since seen their product Dave and I also emailed them to ask if it would fit the EQ2 as well as the EQ3/2. Their prompt and informative reply included a yes. However, on a personal note I'm now on a quest to find another method to mount my C6 to the EQ2 possibly with the help of a socket and ball tripod mount which seems to have a vixen style dovetail clamp. As it happens its on its way tomoz, so by the end of the day I'll know if I can make a half decent alt az with all the 'bits'. [it'll problem end up a bit of frankenstein knowing me].

Cheers for the nod all the same!!

Regards, Rob.

Archived