Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen BT81 Binoculars

A quick thread regarding the Vixen BT81 bins. I have been an amateur astronomer for many years owning a lot of scopes over those years but all of my scopes have been on the large side and not portable.

Owing to my locality and light pollution sadly I let all my set ups go but regret this as my passion for astronomy is as strong as ever, So I have been looking at a portable set up using large Astro Binoculars and the Vixens have caught my eye. I only do visual astronomy so this option would be ideal I know that Vixen offer this as a multi buy option where you will have to purchase the tripod eyepieces as a separate purchase which is a shame as a complete set up with one rounded payment would be a nice option.

Anyway I would like to know if any members use or have had any dealings with this equipment and could give any views on the subject I am put off by out laying money again on another scope so the big bin route seems a good way to go I think for me as there is plenty of dark sky observing found around my location I look forward to any response cheers.

Hi and welcome to SGL.  I'll be watching this thread with interest, because I saw the Vixen BT81 bins at Astrofest on the Astronomia stand, was impressed by how they looked, and drooled for a while.......then forgot until your post.

Regards, Ed.

I started astro with a pair of 25x100 45º and since selling them I'm on the look out for a similar pair again.

I don't have any experience with the Vixens but seem to remember they are expensive but no doubt excellent quality.

I do know that APM are due to bring out a mass market ED 100mm 45/90º set which is alleged to be top class and at a reasonable price. Around £2000...ish.

There was a thread on CN about them but it's been locked for some reason......they're testing the final prototypes now, so they should be available sooner rather than later.

I don't think you'd go far wrong with any of the well known models.....Helios Quantum, Vixen, APM, 

Archived