Equipment:

Telescope: 6" RC Astro-Tech

Camera: Canon XTi (400D)

Mount: NEQ6 Pro

Guider: Kwiq Guider

Software: PHD and Nebulosity 3, Paint Shop Pro X3

Other: DSUSB from Shoestring Astroinomy

All images are 2" Prime Focus

M57 - 8 x 45sec iso 1600 - not guided - Large diffraction spikes with poor star coloration - color not what I expected.  Comments on the color aspects please.

M27 - 2 x 5 minute iso 1600- guided. Camera ran out of battery after three images. First image always is  tossed due to shaky sundeck. Bought a second battery yesterday.

M13 - 4x5minute iso 1600 - guided. Took 10 images but tossed 6.

post-32170-0-13526200-1381251629_thumb.p M57 - Alberio

post-32170-0-73291500-1381251637_thumb.p  M27 - Dumbell nebula

post-32170-0-30409800-1381251632.png  M13 - Largest globular cluster visible in my area.

Excellent work!. You might want to cover your viewfinder while doing these long exposures I think your getting some light leakage the rest is from light pollution i'm guessing. A CLS filter from Astronomix would work great for the sodium and mercury lights around you. In post processing you can use Gradient Xterminator to even the color and shading caused by all this it is not free but sure has saved many an image of mine.

Here are three images from a newbie.

OOPPs !!!!

Equipment:

Telescope: 6" RC Astro-Tech

Camera: Canon XTi (400D)

Mount: NEQ6 Pro

Guider: Kwiq Guider

Software: PHD and Nebulosity 3, Paint Shop Pro X3

Other: DSUSB from Shoestring Astroinomy

All images are 2" Prime Focus

M57 - 8 x 45sec iso 1600 - not guided - Large diffraction spikes with poor star coloration - color not what I expected.  Comments on the color aspects please.

M27 - 2 x 5 minute iso 1600- guided. Camera ran out of battery after three images. First image always is  tossed due to shaky sundeck. Bought a second battery yesterday.

M13 - 4x5minute iso 1600 - guided. Took 10 images but tossed 6.

attachicon.gifAlberio.png M57 - Alberio

attachicon.gifM27.png  M27 - Dumbell nebula

attachicon.gifM13.png  M13 - Largest globular cluster visible in my area.

Clearly Alberio is not M57. I meant to include M57 (the Ring Nebula) as well. Same equipment as above.

2" Prime Focus - 8x45 sec iso 1600 - unguided

post-32170-0-76201700-1381274089_thumb.p

Looks like you've made a good start to imaging - Well done!

A light pollution filter would indeed be a good addition to your arsenal. You may also want to look into the possibility of guiding in the future - Long subs = more data!

Great first start to your imaging campaign. It's good you have

everything set up and working that's half the battle. I agree with Sara a light pollution filter

is a must. It will enable you to produce longer subs & hence more detail.

cheers

Steve

Archived