Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New bino search (take 2)

Alfian

A while back I posted a search for new big binos - which at the time came down to 15x70 Celestron Cavalys or Helios Q4s. It didn't take too long before I concluded (with help gratefully received) that saving for the ubiquitous Apollo 15x70 was the way to go - and indeed that was what I decided.

Whilst waiting and saving - I've become, I think, a bit more clued up and realise now that there is much that makes up a good binocular - much of which isn't immediarely apparent - like top quality coatings, good internal build quality, full size prisms and an aperture that is what it says it is. Continuing waiting and saving I've had a couple of really nice nights just sitting outside with my old Vivitar 7x42s and came in thinking maybe "size isn't eveything"!

So - started looking again and hit upon Pentax PCF II 10x50/12x50s which seem to get pretty good reviews. Then came across the Williams Optics 10x50s which I believe are from the same (BA8) stable as the Apollos. These are  just in reach! (£200) Japanese V Chinese Optics?

Whichever, I shall be using them on a monopod/tripod/pistol grip/ball head. I have (unfortunatel) an "essential tremor" which is not a prob with the small 7x42 (braced) but is with anything larger - so weight isn't a particular issue.

Anyone have an opiinion - or shall I keep saving!

Point taken about country of origin - discriminatory implications not intended - I think what I considered was, from reviews I've read mainly on CN, that  - Nikon, Pentax etc coatings/coating applicatons (for example) set a bit of a bench mark (in that price range) against which others tended to be compared. The reputation of the BA8s seem to be at least equal to that ?  Or maybe I've got that out of perspective.

pleased  to hear your comments on the Pentax PCFs - thanks steve. Great book by the way - thanks - its helped me a lot.

The WO 10x50's (ED) were recently tested on a Dutch forum and according to the tester score very very high marks.

I know the tester quite well, and thereby would recommend the WO's.

If you want I can give you the URL, google-translate could do the translation.

Alfian. I have met the reviewer a couple of times, as well as his audience on the forum, and they are not an easy to please crowd.

I could recommend delving up some more of 'scorpios' threads because there were many articles which lead to this.

One might call it, the quest for the holy binoculair - or - The adventerous wandering of the 6 eyed dutchman.

Oh, it is for sure a compliment !!      Lens - oculair - eye   (and that as a pair of course) makes it a 6 lenser.

I detested the term four-eyes for people who use glasses, so this is a sort of proverbial payback .

Archived