Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 70D

ejwwest

I now have approval from my "financial controller" to upgrade my camera from the Canon 40D I've had since early 2008 to the just launched 70D. Anyone got any opinions on the pros and cons of the 70D over other options (I have a number of EF-S lenses which makes an upgrade to a full frame camera very expensive).

I've been doing a huge amount of research recently with regards to upgrading my kit, and the general consensus seems to be that the 70D is now canons flagship crop frame body, only losing out to the 7D in terms of build quality and weatherproofing. I don't know how it will perform for astro photography, but for more terrestrial use, I don't think you can do much better...... for about 6 months :tongue:  

Why not go with the 60Da? Best of both worlds.

The faster frame rate, wifi and larger ISO range make the 70D significantly better (though why Canon missed the GPS tagging they have in the 6D beats me). I daresay there'll be a 70Da sometime.

For terrestrial use then, yeah you've got a point.

But for astro non of those advantages really matter. Even the higher ISO probably won't be used for long exposures. At the end of the day you get a great terrestrial camera with the added benefit of the added astro Ha range. If that's important for your work anyway!?

I know which way I would go but that's just my opinion!

Archived