Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TS Carbon 8inch f/4 Newtonian w/ 2" Baader Steeltrack Focuser

A list of the TS improvements over the GSO steel tube version- plus my comment

-- lightweight but stiff carbon tube "Made in Germany "

Nice but not 100% necessary. A few focus checks during the night with the steel tube version would sort out any tube 'movements'. Never seen any movement myself on the 8". I think the tube stiffness is more of an issue on the bigger 10" & 12" scopes where the same tube wall thickness is used (to keep weight down) but results in a flimsier structure. This can be addressed but requires more DIY skill.

-- better field illumination by optimized focus position

Not sure what this means- probably they have moved the main mirror 10mm up the tube to improve DSLR back focus distance. An easy DIY mod.

-- TS modified primary mirror holder and secondary holder

They added some different collimation knobs. If you're lucky they swapped out the factory springs for stronger ones. Both easy DIY mods.

-- comfortable collimation of main mirror and secondary mirror without tools

See above note about knobs!

-- diffraction limited main mirror

GSO factory standard mirror!

-- Better 94% reflection on main mirror and secondary mirror for a brighter image

GSO factory standard mirror!

-- Baader Steeltrack 2" Crayford focuser with dual speed - only 50mm height!

Nice- but I find the GSO monorail focusers very good anyway.

-- optimized focus position for astrophotography or visual observing

Probably refers to moving the main mirror up the tube slightly again?

So-a nice tube & focuser but otherwise stuff could easily you change yourself. Generally I would say always buy the best you can afford but whether that means it is 'good value' is down to the individual. As they say- you pay your money and make your choice!

Depends who arrives first at the kill. <G> But I genuinely enjoy a reasonable (positive!) critique of these

rather interesting scopes and their advertising. :)

There is an emergent concensus? Perhaps "not off the peg", but NOT quite a violation of trade description?

A little effort and a modded *steel tube* version might come some way to achieving performance of an:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p5266_ANGEBOT-ASA-200mm-8--Astrograph---F2-8---Gesichtsfeld-D-60mm---Hyperbolisch.html (A mere snip at £6564.11) :D

But clearly HOW MUCH is debatable! But  this also depends on you objective? What are you after? An "Astrograph" for Large chip "classical" imaging? A "light bucket" for real-time video astronomy (my own purpose!). A *compact* 8-inch for visual observation... with coma corrector, maybe? etc. etc. ;)

P.S. I think the performance of a LOT of budget scopes (Not just F4 Newts) is somewhat blighted "for want of a hap'orth of tar"! But then, you can also get quite a LOT (of potential) for the money... :)

P.P.S. Also a fan of MONORAIL focussers - Ironically part of my endorsement of budget F4 Newts. I now have one (+ motor drive) on my MAK150 too. But again, a bit of screw-twiddling, to achieve optimum results. :p

Depends who arrives first at the kill. <G> But I genuinely enjoy a reasonable (positive!) critique of these

rather interesting scopes and their advertising. :)

There is an emergent concensus? Perhaps "not off the peg", but NOT quite a violation of trade description?

A little effort and a modded *steel tube* version might come some way to achieving performance of an:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p5266_ANGEBOT-ASA-200mm-8--Astrograph---F2-8---Gesichtsfeld-D-60mm---Hyperbolisch.html (A mere snip at £6564.11) :D

That's quite a special scope I believe- certainly not just a tweaked £300 GSO Newtonian! The 3" coma corrector alone is an expensive item. Would be a nice instrument to have but currently out of my league. I have the 2" ASA Keller corrector/reducer which works with all three of my F4 Newtonians (giving a nice range of native plus reduced focal lengths). Sadly the 2" only gives a corrected image circle of 20mm- not enough to cover an APS-C DSLE chip (let alone a full frame 35mm CCD). So a 3" ASA Keller reducer is the way forward for large chip imaging.

I would be more concerned about steel tube constructions if I was experiencing large temperature gradients/change over the course of an imaging/observing session. If the range was sufficiently large then focus position might well shift. The true benefit of carbon fibre tube is the stiffness compared to a steel tube of the same weight. It is known for the position of camera/focuser assemblies to deflect or move slightly on the larger, steel tube scopes. A heavy camera (plus other hardware like filter wheels) exerts large forces on the focuser assembly. Any small shift in camera position at F4 could lose your collimation.

Thanks for the replies,

It's really difficult do decide! My problem in this particular issue is simply this: I panic with diy, and at the same time i´m not rich :)

Simply put, i´ll try to buy the best possible and i feel these TS/GSO Carbon would be good investment. Ofcourse they are tunned GSO's. For exemple some have BK7 mirrors, like this: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5782_GSO-Carbon-Fibre-Newtonian-Telescope-8--F-4---Tube-made-in-Germany.html with a monorail focuser, others have pyrex mirror with improved mirror holder like the first link i posted. It´s very confusing for a beginner, besides the price difference in these improvments, is this really a big leap? Should i jump directly to their ONTC´s insted of their UNC´s?

If i go for an OAG, plus EOS camera, or even an Hyperion zoom, with the monorail (maybe the  best price/quality option), will the regular 8" GSO steel tube stay still? I don´t even have a clue, my guess is that the 6" will...

So many questions...

others have pyrex mirror with improved mirror holder like the first link i posted  

That is a seriously different scope to the basic GSO F4- different optics etc. (and nearly 5x the price!). Nice if you have the money.....!

Archived