NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

another start up question.....

One question that has not been asked is what is light pollution like where you live?  I assume that you will be using it at home?  If dark enough you can get away with smaller aperture.  Also, with regard to binoculars, if you were to go down that route, keeping them steady might be a problem without a mount.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must admit that i think a small refractor is also a great idea. The only problem(s) i see with one though is the aperture and cost. They dont come too cheap and if they do,the aperture is around 60-70mm. I dont think that the OP's daughter would be too blown away with the view of planets through such a scope. That's why i suggested the Heritage. 

Its still the best bang for buck in my view and easily used by most everyone.

We live on the edge of town but our house backs onto fields so when its clear the amount of stars out visible with the naked eye are a lot

That sounds like the location is great then, and a small telescope will be easy to carry out and set up then.

Can you see the milky way from your location there? That's a easy indicator that the sky will be well suited for some deepsky observing as well.

That sounds like the location is great then, and a small telescope will be easy to carry out and set up then.Can you see the milky way from your location there? That's a easy indicator that the sky will be well suited for some deepsky observing as well.

I havent had a milky way for many years and no doubt they to will have shrunk in size the same way the wagon wheel has........

Where should I be looking in the sky for the milky way

That depends on the date and time; Depending on the conditions it should be a faint "fog of stars" stretching across the sky, or under great conditions it will be hard to miss.

It can be seen in Stallarium;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way "When observing the night sky, the term "Milky Way" is limited to the hazy band of white light some 30 degrees wide arcing across the sky"

The long time exposures there are of course far from that what you'd usually see with your naked eye, at least when you observe close to civilization.

With the naked eye, i have seen the Milky Way once in 30 yrs from my garden. It looked like a strip of very faint high wispy cloud/smoke stretching from horizon to horizon. While observing with bins or a scope you know you are viewing into it because the sheer number of stars visible in your field of view go through the roof. 

Yes, it is, but only if you help her carry it.

Here's the 130p http://www.zudensternen.de/Bilder/130_650_Skywatcher_Heritage_Dobson_www.JPG

Here's a 150mm dobsonian

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/399595_472009632829578_852257969_n.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilwc5hmmEiw

http://www.teleskop-austria.at/bild/newt-150-sw-2.jpg

Telescope size comparison (translated)

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.joern-lenhardt.de%2Fbenny%2Fart_scopes.html

Don't underestimate the size of those things from the pictures ;-)

It's length is almost equal to it's focal length, and the diameter is larger then the optic's of course.

A 6" will show a lot of things, if you both can handle it.

What do folk think of the following

SKYWATCHER SKYLINER DOBSONIAN 6"/150MM REFLECTOR TELESCOPE AS NEW AND COMPLETE

What's it worth and is it suitable for Chloe

I'll leave this one up to the big Dob owners as i only have a mini Dob. If you observe with her all the time it could be good. I'd say she will struggle as an 8 yr old to move it around and set it up. I dont know the height of Chloe or the height of the eyepiece of this scope but it could be a bit to high for observing anything above 40-60 degrees elevation. 

I could be wrong,so i'll leave it to others. Nice scope though. Maybe a foot stool for Chloe will be needed?

-What Paul says ;-)

The difference between a Heritage and a 150mm Dobsonian won't be earth shaking, especially in "urban conditions";

The Heritage is lighter, portable...

The 150/1200 not so low to the ground and even cheap eyepieces will be sharp over the whole field...

If you just want to use it on the deck or backyard, 150/1200...

...if she wants to use it by herself and cary it out, 130p...

Leave a little budget for one or two eyepieces, especially if you want to view planets.

(27-40gbp or at least a 10-15gbp 2x achromatic barlow, but barlowing the cheap-o eyepieces is by far not as good as a TMB or BST planetary eyepiece)

Its brilliant that Chloe's dad is exploring all options for her and we are all doing our best to arrive at the right scope for her (cuz that's the type of people we here on SGL are). I think we are starting to chase our own tails though. I really cant help but feel that the right scope for Chloe is the Heritage 130P. She can handle it on her own and take it out and just point it where she wants and focus it. It is a perfect height for a kid of her age (either standing or in a seated position). It has a nice 5.1" aperture which will show her really nice views of the planets,Moon and even some of the bigger DSO's like Orion Neb etc.

The eyepieces that come with it are very good to start with. If in the future you want to upgrade at a great price (£30-40 each) for really really good eyepieces.............then the Vixen NPL range are just brilliant with this scope.

In summary..........................go for the Heritage 130P. 

I cant praise FLO (First Light Optics) enough. See the advert/banner at the top of this page. They are just brilliant and offer next day delivery within the UK.

Indeed! :-)

But.. The Vixen NPL?

Plössl for higher magnification on the Heritage?

The eye relief won't be good and a wide angle eyepiece will make it easier for her to track the planets.

They work for me with the scope, but maybe BST's......................but no need to buy any yet.

Given that the 66 degree wide angle eyepieces have a larger eye relief, are cheaper, perform as well (or as bad ;-) ) as Plössl on f/5 and make tracking planets easier to their larger field, I'd strongly recomend those (or better the bst/tmb) :-)

But I suppose a barlow could work too.

Archived