Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First light: Skywatcher Aero 40mm

YKSE

This EP is intend to maximize the AFOV of C8, I had some doubts about possible vignetting due to the fact that C8's visual back is of 37mm diameter - smaller than 40 Aero's field stop, but Michael Wilkinson has written favorably about this EP's performance in his C8 in many occasions, I decided to take the chance to get one, it arrived day before it would be a clear night :smiley:

The size of this EP is about what I estimated, only a couple of mm fater, and 4mm longer (63mm x 124mm). just over 500g is not that heavy for this FL either. Visual check looked good, nice and easy grip too.

After setting up the scope , I compared the AFOV on M57 with 31mm Aspheric (72degFOV, 1.1deg AFOV) directly, YES, it did show a noticeable more amount of sky, very sharp stars, with only some coma in the last 10-15% outer edge, but no darkening anywhere in the FOV. Compared the two EPs again on M45, just confirmed what I've found out, and no vignetting when panning around the Pleiades :smiley:

Now, turning the scope to the Messiers in the area, M31,M32, M34 can all be seen easily, M33 and M110 needed to use averted vision. and then the yet unseen M1, that was actually fainter than M110, after checking my star atlas, and another 10 minutes or so dark-adaption, I finally got it :smiley:

I'm very happy with this EP, and glad that I went for experienced obersers' review than the technical numbers.

Nice to hear you are happy with your new EP, that's

what SGL is all about, getting information from people

who have experience, and have used the kit you want

yourself, it can save you money too. 

Archived