NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observatory Science Centre, Herstmonceaux

JonF

My eldest is going to visit this place with the Guides. As part of the deal, there are discounted admission tickets for other family members. Obviously, as a member of this forum, I'd love to go, but the question is, what about the younger daughter and my wife. Is there anyone there who has visited and can give me an idea of its attractions to non-astro nerds? My wife is perfectly happy for me to gawp at the sky and spend money on gear, but has no real interest, and my youngest doesn't have the greatest attention span.

Any views much welcomed.

Jon

My eldest is going to visit this place with the Guides. As part of the deal, there are discounted admission tickets for other family members. Obviously, as a member of this forum, I'd love to go, but the question is, what about the younger daughter and my wife. Is there anyone there who has visited and can give me an idea of its attractions to non-astro nerds? My wife is perfectly happy for me to gawp at the sky and spend money on gear, but has no real interest, and my youngest doesn't have the greatest attention span.

Any views much welcomed.

Jon

I'm going on Sunday as the RGO reunion is being held.  I'll let you know if it is not too late.  When I worked there there was a lot of open space to run around in and gardens to explore.   In the summer there was the added thrill of seeing the RGO staff enjoying the open air swimming pool but that attraction is no longer available .  There is also the castle, I don';t know if that is open to the public but you could walk round it.

From the website there is quite a few things to do

http://www.herstmonceux-castle.com/index.php

I'm going on Sunday as the RGO reunion is being held.  I'll let you know if it is not too late.  When I worked there there was a lot of open space to run around in and gardens to explore.   In the summer there was the added thrill of seeing the RGO staff enjoying the open air swimming pool but that attraction is no longer available .  There is also the castle, I don';t know if that is open to the public but you could walk round it.

From the website there is quite a few things to do

http://www.herstmonceux-castle.com/index.php

I have just got back from Herstmonceux.  The Science centre is very child friendly.  Plenty of hands on stuff and stuff outside to climb on and get wet with.  Astronomically it is rather disappointing..  There are three telescopes exhibited in the domes  which are interesting historically but they are at odds with the rest of the centre which is more general science with a bit of astronomy and is squarely aimed at children..  There is an RGO exhibition but it is not much really.  

The castle is as always impressive.  And there is fairly unrestricted access to the gardens.  There are tours of the castle but they were suspended today.

The Satellite Laser Ranger in the castle grounds is very interesting but it is not open to the public.

• 1 month later...

Well, I went there today. Loved it, very child friendly, loads to do, no efforts made to fleece the visitors. Five hours flew by. It really is a family day out sort of place, rather than hard core astro centre, but there was enough serious stuff to keep me interested, and the kids really enjoyed it. Highly recommended.

Archived