NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help converting Cinema HD webcam

Savo83

Hi all,

First post so please be gentle ;)

Basically I've been into astronomy all my days and finally bought my first scope after moving to a new home (it's a dinky little ETX-80 which is great for throwing in the rucksack).

Now, I really want to have a go at taking some shots of the moon and I was hoping to convert the above cam using the online instructions from http://ghonis2.ho8.com/lifecam/lifecam1.html

I have a few questions as I'll be using the Billetpart adapter V2.

1) How much do I need to do with regards to dismantling the camera?  The reason I ask is the Billetpoint website states "We found it was not necessary to remove the cable and our design retains the original outer case, rear cap and cable strain relief.  Does this mean I can skip steps listed?  What exact steps would it be that I would use? I'd imagine I need to remove most of it as I would still need to remove the lens.

2) With regards to removing the lens, can I just 'snip' the two AF cables or does it have to be de-soldered?

3) Are there any other updated guides available for use with the V2?

I had a quick look but I was still a little confused by some of the threads on here.

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I'm taking this hobby up 100 miles an hour so even if I can't use it right away, I'd like to have it close to hand for when needed.

Thanks!

I've done the Lifecam Cinema conversion.  I think you'll have to completely disassemble the camera to get at the zoom lens housing.  My recollection is that you can either snip the connectors or desolder them, but you'll still need it fully apart to do either.  I'm guessing what they mean is that you can reassemble much of the housing and put the entire thing inside their adapter.

James

I've done the Lifecam Cinema conversion.  I think you'll have to completely disassemble the camera to get at the zoom lens housing.  My recollection is that you can either snip the connectors or desolder them, but you'll still need it fully apart to do either.  I'm guessing what they mean is that you can reassemble much of the housing and put the entire thing inside their adapter.

James

Thats what I did. The camera needs to be stripped down to gain access to the lens/AF unit.

Archived