Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

September 30, 2013: many filaments in H-alpha, not much in the way of proms

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Just had a solar H-alpha session in my lunch break. Good clear sky but not much in the way of prominences (there were quite a few, but none really impressive). To compensate, the filaments across the surface are magnificent, one string of them spanning about half the diameter of the disk.

Are there any decent eyepiece filters you can use with that will show greater detail whilst you are using a full aperture filter ?

For white light you can use a Solar Continuum filter from Baader. For H-alpha you will need a front-mounted ERF (energy rejection filter) combined with a Fabry-Perot etalon + blocking filter to the rear as in e.g. the Daystar system. Very expensive. Regular deep sky H-alpha filters have much wider passbands than the Fabry-Perot etalons (7nm compared to 0.7nm)

Thank you Michael,

I have been pondering over the "Continuum"  filter for a little while, have you used one before ?

I have one and do feel it adds a bit of contrast. I do sometimes prefer the polarizing filter for its more natural tone, but faculae come out a bit better with the continuum filter

Archived