NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is it worth upgrading or should I start out fresh - Skywatcher (blue) 130 EQ2

Hi there,

I've been disappointed at not being able to use my telescope since we moved two years ago. We lived in a small town and our garden used to back on to fields giving some excellent dark skies, but not so in our new garden. However, I'm enthused again as a new group has started meeting at a country estate not far away with good dark skies again.

I have been looking at mounting a DSLR onto the scope, and slowly upgrading once I have some degree of success with imaging, but having been browsing here I wonder whether I have the right telescope to begin with. Thoughts anyone?

Its not really the best scope for photography  the mount is too unsteady even for decent piggy backing and it will not come to focus with a dslr without some modification. If its photography you wish to do spend as much money as you can towards the mount and then choose a scope to fit. What sort of budget are you looking at?

If you are considering AP, get the book 'Making Every Photon Count' which you can get from the book section of the FLO website. It is a must for anyone thinking of imaging and will help you understand what is the best kit and why. It really is an imagers bible!

You could also use the mount without the telescope  and set the camera on the mount directly, if you have a suitable lens :)

good point I forgot that an eq2 will hold a dslr quite easily I think I read somewhere that it doesn't track as well as an eq1 but its worth a try. I guess I figured you would like to do some visual astronomy as well not just wide field astrophotography

Thanks for your comments. I had my doubts, but then I didn't set out with the intention of taking photos when I got the telescope a few years ago. Budget wise, i was thinking of a used Canon this year, probably spending £200 or so to get set up. May be I should just go for a better telescope this year to get back into the habit of using it, and defer camera's etc for longer term.

Suppose I set a budget of £200 for a new/used telescope which could be upgraded later on for photography what would you suggest. 

Please note that you won't get focus with your DSLR on a 130m SW. That's why the 130pds is for sale.

I think you should stick your camera with a nice lens onto your mount and start imaging this way.

A nice lens is the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - costs 50-70£ used.

Then you can think about the astronomik CLS light pollution clip filter - 100£.

Then you learn processing etc.

If it suits you - save up for scope and mount - you will invest ~ 1000£...

Archived