Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Firmware Updates on Celestron Nexstar Handset advice req.

Hi

I have 2 Celestron Mounts one being a SE Alt/Az the other a CG5 GT Advanced. I use the serial to USB adapter from "Maplins" (I think this is the Prolific chipset model) with both mounts connected to stellarium for scope control. Both mounts work fine with this.

I can update the Alt/Az handset firmware using this adapter without any problems. The handset is the Nexstar+ model.

The CG5 GT handset will not update, its the slightly older model where the "info" and "undo" buttons have to be pressed to put the handset into transmit data mode as power is switched on. Its firmware is version 4.19 there is an update available to 4.21 but no matter how many times I've tried to update it I keep getting the "your handset is not connected, press info and undo whilst powering up the mount to place the handset in Transmit data mode". 

The handset in question does display the transmit data . . . but the firmware program manager just doesnt seem to see the handset.

I've google'd the problem a couple of times and have seen that other users seem to think its the USB to serial adapter that is causing the conflict/problem and that the ideal solution is to get a PCMCIA adaptor. Now I dont think I have a slot to plug one of those into my laptop and on top of this the one I have seen costs about £60.

I'm just not sure what to do to resolve this issue and could do with a bit of advice please. The laptop I use is a Compaq CQ60 Pressario running Vista 32 bit operating system. Just wondered if anyone on here has any ideas as to a way of resolving

Many Thanks for looking

hi...I reckon I have a handle on your problem. there are two programs for updating celestron scopes. the newer scopes use CFM which is an all in one updater aka Celestron Firmware Manager.

older scopes need a two fold process based on an HC or Hand Controller update and a MC or Motor Control update. it is more a 'click next'  process. please see the celestron site and support and download these programs and all should be well.

regards impactcrater

Hi Impact

Thanks for the reply, I have got the Celestron CFM program which as you say updates the Nexstar+ handset, this works fine on that handset. I have also got the older version that is for the older Nexstar handset. Now this is a strange thing because the stand alone Motor Control program will connect and update the CG5 mount, but the Hand control Program when used just gives me the following :-

Hand Control Display

I find it very odd that the serial / USB adapter works fine for controlling the mount via stellarium and will even update the motor control side of things, but as far as the handset update all that I get when connecting and powering up is the above screen.  Its got me really puzzled as to what to try and do next to get the hand control update installed. I suppose if I could find some one who has an older PC that has a serial port built into it, that lives near to me, I could possibly take the mount and handset to them to install it.
Regards
John 

I have looked at the HC update. I suggest that when you open the program you select com port dropdown "none' and then on the next screen select download from the web..... this brings up the choice of GEM 4.19 and 4.21 . it also has GT 4.03 and 4.04  , so i am puzzled which one is suitable for you...GT seems the most likely. I am not convinced it is a serial port problem. you should use the usb at the front of the computer if it is a desktop and mine happens to be com port 13....

It's the Prolific adaptor.  I've got one, it used to update the HC but after a Windows update stopped.  Use a FTDI based one.

The prolific adaptor seems OK for serial communication, as long as the serial cable is short and there are no hubs or USB extensions if there are it may or may not work.

Chris

Hi Impact and Chris

I take your point Impact about whether this is the correct firmware update for my CG5 GT mount, I'm pretty sure it is the correct one. I had used the option of selecting no com port when starting the program and have managed to down load the update into the program. The thing that makes me sure that its the correct package is the first line in the bugs/error fixes which reads as follows :-

- Custom Rate 9 on the ASGT (requires 5.18+ of Motor Control)
- corrected meridian flip when slow goto started
- Improved user feedback on "No Response" errors occurring after start up
- Corrected an error in the GOTO RA-DEC sequence
- Changed text strings in the GPS linking stage
- Fix for syncing on stars in southern hemisphere via RS232 sync command
- Bug fix: soft sync(e.g. polar align) when using OTA_Orientation (tandem mode) feature
- Bug fix: hard sync(set mount Position) when using Meridian Mode (favor East/West)
- Bug fix: land objects with negative dec are handled correctly
- Other bug fixes
Chris, I have ordered a replacement USB-Serial Adapter from Andy at Astronomiser part number ASTSeUSB as the more I have looked into this the more I'm tending to think that its the "Maplins" USB-Serial adapter that is the route cause. Fingers crossed it should be here in a day or so, I'll post an update to keep you both informed of developments as soon as I've had chance to put it to the test.It did seem to be the cheapest start to trying to solve the issue as with postage its cost just under £17, so I'm willing to take a punt on it being the answer.
Thanks for the input both
Regards
John

Hi Impact

At the moment I have an 8" SE mounted on it. I have had a look on the Nexstar resource site : http://www.nexstarsite.com . I have found the following page that refers to the correct firmware updates for this mount :- http://www.nexstarsite.com/Firmware/ASGTFirmware.htm .

it says on the above page that the 4.21 update is the latest for the handcontrol for the version 4 hand control that I have. It also says the following "Version 4 Hand Control (firmware files are named GEM)" it doesn't really help matters that they have produced a slightly lower quality mount that has also got the GT tag attached to it, hence the GT firmware that you refer to in your earlier post that appears as a possible firmware update. It would have been much simpler if Celestron had actually called it the CG5 4.21 "firnware update" rather than giving it the GEM tag. It would cut out a lot of confusion, I have had an email from Andy regarding the new USB adapter I should get it in the post tomorrow, will let you know how I get on with it. I have found that this USB to Serial issue is not just confined to us lot, Car mechanics and garages have been having a fair few problems as they tend to use Serial connectors for car engine management systems. 

Regards

John

Just to bring this up to date, earlier in the week the new USB-Serial adapter arrived from Andy at Astronomiser, Connected it up went to update and had the same problem as before, I did check what chip set was in the new USB adapter and noted that it was a "Prolific". I had several email chats with Andy, who felt that it might be an issue with a fault in the hand set, as from his personal experience he has actually used this particular USB-Serial adapter to carry out this firm ware update. I have no reason to doubt what Andy has told me and he was kind enough to offer me a refund if I wanted to return said item, Top Marks Astronomiser.

Next I found a post on another forum that suggested using a KeySpan USB-Serial adapter, Quick search on Amazon and got one ordered cost £24.00 or there abouts, It was delivered this morning, I've been busy in the garage all day so only just had chance to have a look at it in the last hour. Well I can report that it has updated the hand set firm ware without a problem. So for anyone out there who is struggling to update their firm ware if the prolific does not work for you try a Keyspan it worked for me.

Handset

KeySpan

Regards
John

yes..the digital age is full of these bugs...something which sounds easy ends up being an event...I had similar problems with the serial port of my old computer at home  and  when I used a more modern computer at work with a serial port...no problems......who uses serial ports these days anyway ? pretty annoying of celestron...

now I too have an adapter and there has been no major problem...except of course it initially updated the software of a different handset ! so it is pretty dumb that the CFM program cannot recognise which celestron telescope  it is updating...der !

Archived