NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Light - Celestron 20x80 Bins

nathanj89

Hi All....Hope your well. 

Last week i purchased a pair of celestrons 20x80 bins. They are huge however still more portable than my 200p skyliner dobsonian. You deffently need a tripod to use these binoculars. I was meant to use one but the one ive got the head plate has wedged so I need to go invest in a new one anyway that didnt stop me going out and seeing what I could find. 

I am a really really new when it comes to learning the night sky but I always go to the west and find Lyra and make my way from there as t #2 seems to be brightest star in my night sky. With my own eye sight (blind in the right eye and my left is a 70%) I cant normally see the full square in Lyra however these bins really showed some good clarity and I was able to my way around.  I then jumped round the sky looking at what i could see the amount of stars that shine through was amazing really. 

I then went to find M31 which I've managed to easily locate now ive learnt where it is in comparison to Cassiopeia "W" again these bins picked up the galaxy just as well as my dobsonian with the standard 25mm eye-piece in was well impressed. 

Around 12am is when I got my wow factor I had put the bins down and decided to just look with my eyes and to the SE i saw what I thought was a cluster of stars I got my bins and looked with them and wow I had just spotted my first Messier Object with my own eye sight impressive considering my eye sight it was the Pleiades M45 which i was looking at had to confirm it with my ipad app cus well I told you im really new!

My last experience of the night and i new it was coming because the sky was clear and I'd done some research on stellerium was jupiter!!. Okay it was my first time seeing Jupiter and it was through some bins but you can deffently tell its not a star. I am sure I made our 1 or 2 little dots along side it but like i say at this magnification my eye sight isnt all that great. 

All  in all i am majorly impressed with these binoculars. They will come more into there element when i have them on a tripod to stop the shaking. Anyway there you go last night was the first time I got so engrossed in the night sky will be doing lots more over the coming winter!

thanks nath

Nath

Good to hear you had a good evening. Starting out, you have some fantastic nights out there where you pick up Messier after Messier! Good luck on your journey! You will love Jupiter in the coming months. Your telescope will pick up the cloud bands, the GRS, shadows of the small moons you saw passing in front of the planet, it is truly awe inspiring. If only the bleedin' clouds would get lost from here, and give me a go!

Barry

Nice report. 20x80 bins really are a bit of a beast (in a great way). The fun you will have when you mount them. I was going to suggest the Horizon 8115 tripod,but you can do better. Google "redsnapper tripods". They are heavy duty but lighter in weight and cheaper too. Should go a treat with your bins.

Archived