NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Main astro binos decided - but partner bins?

Roger Fairhurst

I have bought and am suitabliy impressed with my new Nikon Action Extreme 12x50 bins (Porro) which I intend to employ/enjoy as my main astro-bins.

However, I am thinking about a second pair for astro viewing and would be interested in comments from those in the know to my thoughts in this direction.

So - main bins 12x50

now... up or down?!

My gut feeling (for what it's worth!) leans towards bins of lower or equal magnification but with a smaller aperture. So I'm currently looking towards 10x42.

This would put the following product right into my "finder scope":-

Kowa SV 10x42 roof prism

My thinking.

1. I don't want to (and can't afford!) to go OTT and buy something "much better" than my main bins.

2. Although both bins will be mounted atop either mono- or tri-pods (so weight is not a major issue) I do wish to avoid 15x or 20x magnification instruments because my main instrument of observation will definitely still remain my scope.

I guess these are my main criteria:

10x42 - Roof OR Porro (maybe 7x50 Porro?......)

Nitrogen filled - for outdoor night use

best possible optical spec for the money - FOV, ER etc

Best possible optical coating(s) (phase correction etc.)

Relatively light weight

Tripod adaptable

Screw-up eye cups

I already own a Kowa 6x30 porro which is an absolute gem of a bin - but too small (FOV & aperture) for astro use and an old Bauer 10x42 (roof) instrument that needs repairs and adjustment. I also have an ancient Prinz 7x50 which is amazing but not nitrogen filled and will, therefore, be prone to fogging.

I think I need to understand if a second pair of bins is even necessary and if so what exactly it is that I expect from these additional bins.

I am assuming that locating and getting first views of DSOs will be easier with bins that have a wider FOV (hence the lower magnification).

In the absence of clear skies I have to make a decision!!!!!!

Who can help?

Kind regards

Roger

I have an older (by a decade or so) version of the 10x42 predecessor of this and, frankly, I wouldn't be without it. It is my hand-held binocular of choice, is really easy to hand-hold, and the only better optics I've used in a similar size cost nearly £1,000 more. Also dead portable.

I have an older (by a decade or so) version of the 10x42 predecessor of this and, frankly, I wouldn't be without it. It is my hand-held binocular of choice, is really easy to hand-hold, and the only better optics I've used in a similar size cost nearly £1,000 more. Also dead portable.

Thanks for the reply Steve - BUT -

as the Germans say " I need to keep the church in the village"....

My "main" astro bins will be my modest Nikon Action extremes - brilliant for the price - ₤ 124,00 - the Opticron Aurora BDAs you mentioned cost over €1000.00 - for a second choice?!!!!

If what you are saying is that the 10x42 roof prism format is perfect for hand-held astronomy and therefore ideal as a partner for the tripod-mounted Nikons I already own then I understand.

However my main instrument of viewing will remain my scope as I mentioned at the start of the thread so bins in this price range are just beyond my finances.

But thanks anyway.

Kind regards

Roger

To be honest, I don't think the change to the option of a 10x42 would give enough visual difference compared to your 12x50 to warrant the additional expense unless it had some major advantage such as weight or field of view size.   :smiley:

The 10x42 Kowa at 670g is very much lighter than the Nikon (1kg+) which will spend most of its time on tri-or-mono-pod anyhow. The idea is for a smaller yet reasonable quality hand-held for scanning before, between and after sessions on the main bins.

Hope this makes sense!

Of course this way of going about things might well not make sense to others hence this thread!

Kind regards

Roger

If what you are saying is that the 10x42 roof prism format is perfect for hand-held astronomy and therefore ideal as a partner for the tripod-mounted Nikons I already own then I understand.

No, I'm not saying that. I was merely responding to your "main criteria" -- it's a binocular that ticks all your boxes. As Peter indicates, apart from hand-holdability, it'll be very similar to your 12x50 but, as you say: "Of course this way of going about things might well not make sense to others hence this thread!" -- binoculars are very personal things :lol: . As for price, you can find significant reductions, either by getting used binoculars or, as I did, waiting until a new version is introduced, at which point the "old" ones tend to be sold off a lot cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Edjuh,

I DID go wide in that I bought a pair of 6x30 Kowa binos which I absolutely love because they weigh nothing and are as sharp as a razor!

On my first real trip out I took the 12x50s and 10x42s (3 pairs of bins AND a scope would have been a touch OTT!) and the Pleiades were simply gorgeous in both pairs. I will take the 6x30s with me next time though just for comparison.

Kind regards

Roger

Hi Roger,

The pleiades will be a good object, but a 6x30 comes to it's own right for a slow sweep through the milkyway. Other than that (I duck) it only is usable for theaters   ;)

But as an add-on or companion to an otherwise fine bino, without having a 'duplicate' It would be nice.

( Edjuh btw is a sort of local slang version of Eddy)

Grtz  Ed

Hi Roger,

The pleiades will be a good object, but a 6x30 comes to it's own right for a slow sweep through the milkyway. Other than that (I duck) it only is usable for theaters   ;)

But as an add-on or companion to an otherwise fine bino, without having a 'duplicate' It would be nice.

Grtz  Ed

Eddy,

I know, I know!

It was YOU who suggested going WIDE with a 6x30!

I have a, in order of preference for astro use:-

1. My telescope

2. My Nikon 12x50s

3. My Bauer 10x42s

4. My Opticron 8x32s

and THEN come the Kowa 6x30s

Savvy?

kind regards

Roger

Seems like you've got a good enough selection of binoculars already, doesn't seem like you need an upgrade :).

Hi Naemeth,

when I was thinking about a partner for my Nikons, my Bauer 10x42s were in need of repair and I was not hopeful that the spares would be available.

However, Bauer very kindly replaced my defective pair with a brand spanking new pair of their latest model 10x42 and these will now partner the Nikons.

I started a thread about Bauer's generosity in this respect which you've probably not seen.

But, yes, I do have too many bins! My son will be getting the Bresser 10x50s to compliment my old Bresser 70/700 refractor scope which I gave him so that will be one pair less.....

Kind regards

Roger

Archived